Packing 101 (read this if you want your recorder / mixer to arrive in one piece)

Really glad you threw this out there. I had three Fostex Hard Disc Recorders arrive damaged, only due to poor packaging. It's also a great idea (essential, as far as I'm concerned, for long distance) to
DOUBLE-BOX! The orig factory shipping methods are more efficient, and they use less material because they often ship on FREIGHT trucks, or on company-owned rigs that KNOW how to treat these items. Pass it on!! :guitar:

You do not have to double box a unit if you know how to pack the items in the first place- I send many units out Fed Ex Ground without a single problem. Do not send heavy item postal- that is asking for trouble. UPS is also not so good. I have found for reliability and a good deal the
Speed Dee delivery does a great job but does not yet do the whole USA. Otherwise Fed Ex Ground is the best idea. I have the data to support these comments and I ship packages out weekly.

You do not have to double box a unit if you know how to pack the items in the first place- I send many units out Fed Ex Ground without a single problem. Do not send heavy item postal- that is asking for trouble. UPS is also not so good. I have found for reliability and a good deal the
Speed Dee delivery does a great job but does not yet do the whole USA. Otherwise Fed Ex Ground is the best idea. I have the data to support these comments and I ship packages out weekly.
Partly true, in my opinion.. But if it's practical to double box it helps.. The 3 units (Fostex) that I mentioned were sent to me, not sent by me.. I have integrated a real good method over the last few years; Let's say it's a 4 or 5 space rack mount unit: Wrap it, and also, secure foam pipe insulation around it several times.. See pictures of two dfrnt units.. I could literally roll that thing end over end across my floor and it would just bounce gently to rest.. Then of course surround it in a good box with styro or bubbles, and there ya go! East coast, England, Australia.. Give it to a Stoner in a '48 Ford.. It'll go anywhere unharmed!

Attachments

• e24 Inst Cluster Yamaha aw2400 shipping pictures 006.JPG
    e24 Inst Cluster Yamaha aw2400 shipping pictures 006.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
  • e24 Inst Cluster Yamaha aw2400 shipping pictures 005.JPG
    e24 Inst Cluster Yamaha aw2400 shipping pictures 005.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
I got some of that stuff so I should start to use it up- it came from a Radio Station build I collected materials at.

Another thing to consider, good shipping is expensive, but if you're buying, make sure you're not just getting gouged by some eBay knucklehead. I shipped a Tascam MSR-16 from CA or OR. I didn't take pictures, but I bought a large "TV" (not sure what they'd call it now) box from U-Haul. Then I bought rigid insulation panels from your big box home improvement and lined the box. I put styrofoam pieces around the transport and secured them with tape so no moving part could move and the front presented a flat surface. Then wrapped the deck in several layers of bubble wrap. Then put in the oversize box full of peanuts. The box was more horizontal and the deck placed topside up. The total bill was probably around US$120 or more, but the deck arrived in good shape.

I bought an Otari MX5050-BII (similar sized taller but not as deep, and not quite as heavy as the MSR-16) from a dealer in AZ. He used a smaller box, transport side up. He used three inch thick foam panels to line the box, then peanuts. It also arrived fine. He used (and recommended FedEx) and I did for my Tascam deck. I have shipped smaller items via USPS with no problems. I have a personal axe to grind with FedEx for screwing up some time sensitive delivery, but otherwise both times I've shipped decks they were OK.

OTOH, I bought a Fostex 80 from some idiot who shipped it transport side down, with one layer of thin bubble wrap. It didn't make it, and trying to make an insurance claim via USPS/Canada Post was too difficult. the other Fostex 80 I got, I think came UPS, and with out problem, the seller also packed quite securely. I think shipping was around US$75 for that, it's been a while.

Back