Overdriven 4-track?

ishou

I have a suspicion that my TASCAM 424's circuitry may have been damaged due to overdriving it. Is there some way that I can test for this? Because I'm not entirely sure if it is or not. And if it is broken, how do I fix it? Or do I need to (gasp) buy a new one?

Thanks,
--ishou

[This message has been edited by ishou (edited 07-23-2000).]

ishou, how can you over use circuitry?? What did you do to it?? What's it doing??

[This message has been edited by Loren Morehouse (edited 07-23-2000).]

Well, my recordings aren't sounding like I want them to, and I want to make sure it's not the 4-track. Is it possible to overdrive the preamps by putting very loud signals through them? Like if I ran something really really loud (like uh a power amp out) through the 4-track, could I overload it and do damage to it? If so, how can I test the machine to make sure it is in full working condition, and if it's not, where can I get it fixed?

An excessively loud signal won't hurt circuitry at all; only a signal that has a current inappropriate for the electronics would damage it, and in that case the damage would be easy to identify. Some things to check: How do you monitor? Could your headphones/speakers be the problem? What type of tapes do you use? I had a 424 that would only use the TDK Multitrack Master (or whatever they call them), kind of like the 1/2" machines that "get familiar" with only one kind of 1/2" tape. Make sure that your headcleaning solution is not something inappropriate (like rubber cleaner) and vice-versa. Be sure you don't have more than one line going into a channel (like a guitar and a microphone). After that, you may want to try to wrestle the monster known as Tascam Customer "Service."

Back