Optical to USB is this possible?

Vinnybking

Ok recording aficionados, is possible to connect a Tascam DP-01FX/CD (cd player in unit will not burn. Message reads "CD Write Error Press EXIT") so I have an external cd I want to these songs send to..I don't have a laptop or desk comput..the problem is the tascam recommends using the optical audio output, ok that's all good but the external cd burner has a USB for a connection..I've been around asking stores clerks about this no one seems to know. I also have looked on the internet and there is no connection for an toslink to a usb..so I'm wondering if this is even possible..either with a d.a.c. box or any type of adapter connections ...so I come to the place where I should gone to in the first place.. here!.. the answer, be it yes or no will be found here..I also have a 2488 I bought but the play button doesn't work and it needs service I'm not accustom to the 2488 but the DP-01FX/CD I'm so much familiar with its easier to put down my ideas on.. anyways thank you in advance
Vinnyb

Hard to believe that you don't have access to a computer these days. Don't have a friend with one, or a library with public computers? You don't need much of one.

There's no way to directly convert SPDIF to USB for burning a CD. SPDIF doesn't speak the same "language" as a USB CD drive. Looking at the DP01FX specs, it says it has a USB2.0 interface built in but nothing in the manual suggests that it has the proper drivers to run a CD via USB. So, it sounds like you're going to need a computer. You can export either wav files, or stereo master files that way and burn them on the CD in the computer.

You might be able to find a compatible CD drive to replace the one in the DP01, if that's the problem. I had to do that with an old Yamaha AW16G years ago. It might be tough to find a compatible unit these days.

Last edited:
While the stand alone recorder might be workable, its probably not the best solution. I can buy a new HP laptop for $240 at the Staples on the corner which could connect through USB to dump all the data to the internal drive, or to a Flash Drive. The DP01 has a 40G drive, so you could back up the whole machine on a 64gb flash drive for $10. He's already got a USB CD burner, so I think this would be a cheaper and infinity more flexible route.

You could probably find a computer at a Goodwill or a Thrift store for $100 which would do the same thing. Look for refurbs online. There are thousands of computers out there.

Thank you so much...I've used my phone instead of a lap top...never had a reason to get one...guess it's time...I do have friends and family that have lap tops I just didn't want to bug them about it...thank you very much to all that replied...you guys are awesome...now I know =) Have a great day...

Back