No audio coming from guitar input H (Tascam DP-24SD)

bearhead

Hey everyone, I just received my DP-24 today, and when I went to plug in my guitar and start recording, I could not get any sound out of it.

Now I've already looked through threads about this issue, but nothing has seemed to help.

I updated the firmware to the latest version (1.01 0008 or something to that effect)

Anyway, I have my guitar plugged into channel H, and I assigned H to channel 1, and then armed the track... But nothing is still coming out.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Upon further inspection, I found that I can get signal from every other input except H. Do I have a dead channel?

Input H has a switch to select "line" or "guitar". if the guitar is plugged into H then move the switch to the right as looking from the back of the unit to the guitar setting. see if that works. page 15 of the manual. :thumbs up:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

However, I have tried plugging in directly with the guitar setting switched on, then off to line. No sound. I then plugged in my multi effects pedal to it and the same thing happened.

so if you have a signal working in input G, set up input H the same way and see if you can get it to work, move the input from G to H. do you have something like a MP3 player you can use to get a signal for troubleshooting? once you arm the track input H is assigned to, how high are you setting the trim knob?

I have the trim set half-way. I turned it all the way up to see if the OL light would come on, but it didn't.

I have my guitar plugged up to my multi effects pedal, at line level btw. The faders are up, the REC button is engaged, and the channel is properly assigned.

I have the trim set half-way. I turned it all the way up to see if the OL light would come on, but it didn't.

I have my guitar plugged up to my multi effects pedal, at line level btw. The faders are up, the REC button is engaged, and the channel is properly assigned.

the reason I was asking about another line source such as a MP3 or even your phone if you have an adapter. get a known good signal to the input so you can trouble shoot, have you tried plugging the guitar straight in?

I just plugged up my laptop to play audio out into the channel, and I'm getting signal just fine.

Also I noticed a minute ago that when I remove the cable, the pop is audible. So why not my guitar pedal? It works for every other channel, with and without the pedal (guitar directly into the recorder).

ok, lets try this:

set up input G with something that works, assign it to track 1. if you have some source that is 1/4 inch use that. test and make sure it works.
set up input H the exact same way as input G. move the source from G to H. see if it works, if not the input may have a problem, if it works you know the input is good. if H works set to line, then try setting the switch to guitar

Alright, so I tried it with the guitar switch on and off using my laptop again, and I got sound both ways. One other thing I noticed is that I only get some of the audio from every other channel except H. The same effect as when you have your headphone cable plugged in half way. But I know all of the other inputs are good. I assume it's only picking up mono, not stereo. It's weird that H would though. Any thoughts of what's happening?

Alright, so I tried it with the guitar switch on and off using my laptop again, and I got sound both ways. One other thing I noticed is that I only get some of the audio from every other channel except H. The same effect as when you have your headphone cable plugged in half way. But I know all of the other inputs are good. I assume it's only picking up mono, not stereo. It's weird that H would though. Any thoughts of what's happening?

when you say some of the audio do mean the volume is lower ? Im not following you. is the plug from your laptop TRS? The laptop will output left and right audio, if the plug you are using is TRS you may have to use a stereo track to get both sides.

Basically what I'm talking about is that you don't hear the drums in the mix on channels A - G. I don't know what that's called, but the same thing happens if you have your headphones plugged in halfway. I tried different adapters.

And yes, both the 1/8" cable and the 1/4" adapter are TRS.

not sure about that but back to the original issue, you have verified that you get signal on input H with the switch in line and guitar, correct? now plug the guitar directly into input H with the switch set to guitar and see what happens. you have verified the input is good on both line and guitar settings. you now know where the problem isn't. :laughings:

I just plugged my guitar directly in and I didn't get any sound. So I tried pulling the plug out a little and I get audio if I have it plugged in partially.

Wonder why that's happening...

The two cables I have coming out of my effects pedal are, but the cable going into the pedal (which is the cable I used a minute ago) is mono.

The two cables I have coming out of my effects pedal are, but the cable going into the pedal (which is the cable I used a minute ago) is mono.

the input combo jacks are balanced so it should not matter, I have the DP32 and all of my input cables are TS, which track are you assigned to? try a TRS cable just for grins.

It's the same thing with both types of cables.

I'm not sure why it works with an adapter, but not with the cable unless it's partly plugged in.

Oh, XLR works just fine btw...

have you tried plugging the guitar in with the switch set to line? or running through your pedals and trying say input A?

Back