New to 4 track recording question.

j.b.

Hi all,
First time posting on here, I had a question; I was gifted two(!) tascam 4 tracks, one is the MFP-01 and the other is a Porta 02 MKII. Am i able to mix down from tape machine to another? All four tracks would be condensed to one, right? And if I am correct, Id have three more tracks to use again, with the first four maybe being not as great in fidelity? I assume I would connect the line in from to the other? I am new to recording in my bedroom, or at all really, but i have been having a lot of fun, and love the idea of being able to do this without bandmates making excuses to not make it to practice. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Oh man....you sure sound like a budding home recording monster!! I had all those thoughts early on when I started too............sooooo.........get ready because embarking on this journey is like the the Hotel California. You can check in....but can never leave. Exciting times ahead!!!

Anyway.......as for your idea of mixing down from one 4 tack to another. Yes....it can be done that way but keep in mind that you're likely going to be mixing down to stereo........so that normally means 2 mono tracks.....not one. I'm assuming the tracks on your recorders are all mono. I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with either of them. Others here might be more familiar with those units. Good luck and keep us in the loop!!

Hi all,
First time posting on here, I had a question; I was gifted two(!) tascam 4 tracks, one is the MFP-01 and the other is a Porta 02 MKII. Am i able to mix down from tape machine to another? All four tracks would be condensed to one, right? And if I am correct, Id have three more tracks to use again, with the first four maybe being not as great in fidelity? I assume I would connect the line in from to the other? I am new to recording in my bedroom, or at all really, but i have been having a lot of fun, and love the idea of being able to do this without bandmates making excuses to not make it to practice. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

You've pretty much got it. Sgt. Pepper was recorded more or less like that. You can mix down to mono and have three tracks, or mix down to stereo and have two tracks. Let us know when you get frustrated and we'll guide you through recording on a computer, which is also frustrating but way more versatile.

Back