New 246 belts jump off

BigglesDog

The belts on my old 246 had turned completely to goo due to being stored in a closet for several years. I cleaned up as best as I could and ordered a new belt kit from Vintage electronics. It works for the most part, but often during normal playback the main belt jumps off the smaller hub at the top. I don't see any kind of tension adjustment. Any idea what could be causing this?

Are you confident you replaced it with the correct belt and properly mounted? Did you follow the 244 servicing thread (below yours)? See here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=297394

Based solely on your description, the belt is either too large (wrong belt) or somehow you've replaced it wrong (but I don't know how that's even possible). Any more details would be helpful, maybe photos too?

Are you confident you replaced it with the correct belt and properly mounted? Did you follow the 244 servicing thread (below yours)? See here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=297394

Based solely on your description, the belt is either too large (wrong belt) or somehow you've replaced it wrong (but I don't know how that's even possible). Any more details would be helpful, maybe photos too?

As you say its pretty hard to install it wrong. I got the 246 belt kit from Vintage so I assume they are right and the belt doesn't feel loose at all, it just occasionally climbs up over the capstan rim. I'm suspecting I may not have got all the tar-like rubber goo out and the belt gets traction to climb up the side. I'll go over everything again with a q-tip and some alcohol

As you say its pretty hard to install it wrong. I got the 246 belt kit from Vintage so I assume they are right and the belt doesn't feel loose at all, it just occasionally climbs up over the capstan rim. I'm suspecting I may not have got all the tar-like rubber goo out and the belt gets traction to climb up the side. I'll go over everything again with a q-tip and some alcohol

You def need to get ALL of the previous rubber goo out, not only from the big fly wheel but the smaller chrome one as well, everything the belt touches. Make sure you spin the wheel, manually and see if the belt is completely horizontal / straight and spins freely.

After a good clean, I think I have the belt issue sorted out and it worked for a while, but then stopped and now I see that the pinch roller is shot also. I suspect that means pretty much anything made of rubber is going to be in the same shape.

I've got a quote from Teac for $8.95 for the roller. As long as I'm placing an order, is there anything else I should replace at the same time?

After a good clean, I think I have the belt issue sorted out and it worked for a while, but then stopped and now I see that the pinch roller is shot also. I suspect that means pretty much anything made of rubber is going to be in the same shape.

I've got a quote from Teac for $8.95 for the roller. As long as I'm placing an order, is there anything else I should replace at the same time?

Yup, the rule of thumb is that if one's gone, the others need replacement as well. The machines we're talking about are at least 20 years old and if there's a rubber component there which has not been changed in a decade, it's living on borrowed time.

You have the capstan belt replaced, OK. I would suggest you place an order for the pinch roller (that's a very good price), idler assembly (idler A & idler B), control belt and sone brakes, which are those little rubber thingies which rest on the plastic spool tables when in stop mode. Those are optional but I'd get them too. Make sure everything is cleaned before the new rubber is replaced, everything the rubber touches.

Back