Need some studio monitor headphones

aztec506

After a 20 year absence I'm trying to rebuild my little home recording studio. I'm mainly an acoustic guitar guy, but have drum machines, a keyboard. I sold all of my recording stuff 20 years ago like my Tascam cassette 8 track, mics, etc. This time around I'm using a Tascam DP-24SD as my main recording interface along with some Rode M5 mics & a AT 2020 mic. I still have my old keyboard - an old Roland U20, and I have a Alesis drum machine. To complete my simple studio I'm looking for a decent set of over ear headphones - I'm obviously looking for something flat toned instead of the typical bass heavy response mfgs use these days. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what might be suitable in the $150-250 range? Thanks for any help!

A bit more than your budget, but check out Focal.
The Focal spirit is a pretty damn flat response headphone.
A friend has a set and I've gotten a chance to check them out.

Good stuff.

He's done a couple of commercial releases using only those for both tracking and mixing.

Take a look at the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x's. And the Beyerdynamic DT 770's.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Can you tell me how many "OHM"s the DP-24SD will drive since some of these come with different Ohms? Don't want to use an additional amp for monitoring.

Back