Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MX 24242 power cut during recording, lost data

Thanks

Question MX 24242 power cut during recording, lost data

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello,

sorry for my english, i'm french,

one night this week I was sounding a jazz concert with my LS9 digital mixer and at the same time I was recording the concert in "direct OUT" and multitrack with my multitrack Tascam MX 2424 connected in adat. to make a new mix of the concert later.

But there was a blackout during the concert just a little before the end while the MW 2424 was in recording mode. No inverter, so mx 2424 sees no trace of what had been recorded.

so I stop using the hard drive that is in the mx2424 waiting to go home, once at home, I put the hard drive mx2424 on my computer to see a little what there inside: and so, I see my Wav files corresponding to each track but these are illegible, nor copiable on another retrieval. it is even indicated 0 byte on these wav nor any information on the properties of these file wav (sampling frequency quaniacetion etc). I know that every time I stop a recording on the mx2424, it must write information on the index of the disk partition, update its info files of the current project, and finalize the wav file, so if we suddenly cut the power, the machine does not have time to write this data and so at the next restart it does not know that there is new wav file. Yet I know that the data is written on the disc and my question and how to find them ??

to try, I took another hard drive that I put in the mx2424, I run a record and turn off the power to generate the same file failure on another disc story to tinker first on a disc of test in case I make a false manipulation that would actually lose me the data (you never know)

I tried "easy recovery pro": he found nothing, I launched a CMD chkdsk command that did not find anything, I also did an analysis with "recuva" which finds the files but also at 0 bytes therefore unusable ...

I do not know what to do, i need a softwar it "search" the entire disk without requiere to the indexes of the disk, or create a file that allows the data corresponding to these wav files to be located.

I want to have the help of computer scientists.

Thank for your help,

CHris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 902 Posts
    Hi there,
    Sorry to hear you lost (perhaps temporarily?) your data.

Sounds like you have the right idea, being careful. I think I'd take a drive clone with something like CCC, if you happen to have a spare,
    or, at least, take a zip of the important files whether broken or not.

Sounds like data recovery isn't going to be useful here because it's going to recover the data (duh) which is corrupted, rather than 'missing'.
    There are various tools out there which claim to be able to repair corrupted or damaged wav files.

Would you be happy to share one of the files for anyone who may have time to tinker or try a few things?
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Hi,

On another hard disk (disk 2), I make a recording operation of the same duration with the same project name. I also make a total "gost" of the disk on which the data are missing (disk 1) to another disk (disk 3) in which I will do my experiments. On disk 3 I will replace the files (that the MX 2424 updates at each recording stop) with those of disk 2. These files indicate the mx2424 the structure of the project when loading and allows the location of Wav and editing in the tracks. But I do not think it will work. I think the MX 2424 will try to look for WAV, it will find but these wav files are only 0 bytes. The problem is that the Wav are unfinalized. I think that while recording the MX2424 writes the raw data in different clusters of the disk and at the moment of the stop recording it creates the WAV file and indicates in the disk partition table where the data of each disc is wav. In my problem, I need located this unreported audio data.

Thanks
    67646204_2184004561696795_8970123731242319872_n.png

here is a screenshot on the view of my disk. the wav files are there but it's only 0 bytes, and I can not read or copy it.

Thanks
    Give this a try. Usage instructions are here.
    Sounds like it was written for exactly this scenario!

The author says it does not alter or overwrite original files so nothing to lose.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    so following my attempt explained in my last message, the mx2424 signal that the WAV data is bad. Even with the session now updated.

tried the application: WAVFIX but I can not use it. I will ask more gifted friends for help with a computer.

Thanks
    If you used the disk with the original application after the power failure it may have closed the file "properly" even if wrong. If the file was written sequentially (un-fragmented) it might be possible to read the data.

I had luck using Audacity to import a zero-length WAV file using an "import raw" mode (sorry, don't recall details). You have to experiment with an offset byte, or something like that. If you have the original disk and it's not been corrupted by using anything that would do any writes, you might google for the solution with Audacity and see if that helps?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to keith.rogers For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by christubef View Post
    tried the application: WAVFIX but I can not use it. I will ask more gifted friends for help with a computer.
    It needs to be run from the command prompt, with parameters to tell it what to do.
    The easiest approach, if that's foreign to you, is probably Start>Run>"cmd" (OS dependant) then just drag the wavfix exe into the terminal, and then one of your broken wavs into terminal, then hit enter and read the output.

That should save you having to type out the file paths manually.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Steenamaroo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I am sorry to say that I think you may have no luck recovering the data. The MX2424 does not complete the writing of the file until you hit stop. There is information being written as it recorded but it finalises the file upon hitting stop. There are numerous warnings about turning the MX off during recording, hard drive formatting, etc. I also recommend to anyone that is using an MX that they have a UPS (uninterrupted power supply) on the mains to prevent problems like you encountered.

Alan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witzendoz View Post
    I am sorry to say that I think you may have no luck recovering the data.
    There are loads of tools for this scenario and this one only!

Thread Information