MSR-16 playback issue- need HELP

R_Shackleford

been using an MSR-16 (sparingly) for 5 years now. it's always been reliable til this week. here's the problem:

I was listening to a playback, and all the sudden the machine stopped. I mean it still has power, it FF's and rewinds. everything seems fine, but it just won't play. when I push play, it kinda clicks into gear and starts for a split second, but then it stops. I've gotten it to start back up 3 or 4 times - once by randomly moving the 'tension arm' (the roller thing on the far left) and the other times by wiggling the hub on the take-up reel (the reel on the right).
for example, last time I got it rolling, I was wiggling the hub left and right just a bit (while the machine was on play) and all the sudden the machine took off and started playing normally. then just a few minutes later is stopped playing again. right now I am not able to get it playing at all.
I tried switching to another tape but I'm still having the same problem. this is very frustrating. like I said, all other functions on the machine are working perfectly fine.

please help! my bands recording project is now on hold til I figure out what's going on.

Is the capstan spinning? If not it may be a bad capstan motor, or bad switch in the right tension roller. If it's spinning check that the rubber pinch roller is not dry and slick and is making enough contact so that the tape is being pulled through.

It could also be insufficient tape tension, which will allow the right tension arm to drop, stopping the machine.

Unfortunately, with all the processor control on that model there could be a number of other causes.

Back