Mic preamp with a 2488/Neo?

gypsyblues73

Do I really need one? I'm sure a preamp would do wonders through just about any multi-track, but I mean, is it really a necessity for good quality recordings with the Neo?

You can skip an external, and just use the 2488 preamps if you choose...I like the sound I get running the vocal mike through a tube preamp and dbx compressor, but that's a matter of choice, not necessity. I could just as easily plug the mike into the 2488, turn on the phantom power, adjust the trim and go that way, if I chose to. I'd suggest you give it a try and see how the vocals sound to you, and let that be your guide. Good luck!

Spend yer money on adding another Mic to your collection.

I'm happy with the Tascam preamps on my fw-1884. That said, I have a focusrite preamp/channel strip (2 ch.) because my best attribute is my voice. So, I want to treat it to the best I can get my hands on. The TwinTrak Pro is feature laden such as variable input impedance (allows me to tailor the response of my mics - very cool), 'Air' switch, Mid Scoop EQ, Optical Compressor, Phase invert (I need it for the way I decode M+S Recording sometimes), SPDIF In, F/X Sends & Returns, plus a nice monitor section.

How important are the vocals in yer music to this point?

I used my 2488 for years without an external pre-amp. The 2488's pre's are good. I also had a Focusrite that I used for certain things. But it wasn't better or worse, just different.

How important are the vocals in yer music to this point?

Right now, not very -- I can't sing worth crap! :) I'm gonna be collaborating long-distance with a guy from a band that I used to be in, so I'll mostly just be laying down guitars, bass, drums, and whatever else, and he's going to be using his setup for recording the vox. I may do some backup, but that's probably all.

Back