Making space in a DP-01

Nico2112

Ok guys. Let's see if any of you have tried this before.
I recorded a song and used all the 8 tracks. To get more space (in the same song) I usually transfer 7 or 6 tracks to the FAT partition, and then to the PC. Once I have those tracks in the PC, then I start recording new instruments in the song.
I was thinking in skipping the FAT partition to PC transfer, and just transfer the tracks to the FAT partition, giving each one of them it's name. Eg:
Drums001
Bass 002
GuitL 003...and so on.
And then, start recording right away new instruments. And after tracking them up, transfer to the FAT partition with a different name.
Has anybody done this before?
Will there be any problem?
Just thinking on how to speed up the process.
Cheers!

PD:Later on this week I'm going to experiment on doing this. I just wanted to know beforehand if you had done it.

Nico2112 said:
Ok guys. Let's see if any of you have tried this before.
I recorded a song and used all the 8 tracks. To get more space (in the same song) I usually transfer 7 or 6 tracks to the FAT partition, and then to the PC. Once I have those tracks in the PC, then I start recording new instruments in the song.
I was thinking in skipping the FAT partition to PC transfer, and just transfer the tracks to the FAT partition, giving each one of them it's name. Eg:
Drums001
Bass 002
GuitL 003...and so on.
And then, start recording right away new instruments. And after tracking them up, transfer to the FAT partition with a different name.
Has anybody done this before?
Will there be any problem?
Just thinking on how to speed up the process.
Cheers!

PD:Later on this week I'm going to experiment on doing this. I just wanted to know beforehand if you had done it.

i've done a lot of stuff like that. i've exported the files to the fat drive, and renamed them, but left them there to save time. then later i'd move them to the pc. here's the problem. once you get to a certain number of tracks on the fat drive it will crash. at least the last one i used did that. so i generally won't keep more than thirty tracks resident in the fat drive now.

you can also record 4 stereo tracks, export them, rename them, then mix down to the master stereo track. then you wipe the 8 tracks you have, and clone the master track to tracks 1 and 2 and now you have all the instruments to play to and three stereo tracks to record onto.

Nicole_Rose said:
...you can also record 4 stereo tracks, export them, rename them, then mix down to the master stereo track. then you wipe the 8 tracks you have, and clone the master track to tracks 1 and 2 and now you have all the instruments to play to and three stereo tracks to record onto.
Very good idea Nicole.
About storing tracks in the FAT partition, I won't leave them that long, so I guess I'm not going to have a problem.
Thanks for your post.
Cheers!

When I was recording on one of these I would record basic rythm tracks, then mix that down to a scratch track. Then I would do a save as of the song and open the new one, keeping the scratch track and re-recording the other tracks. Then I would dump it all into my PC and mix and edit.

What I'm doing right now is putting about 8 to 9 tracks on the computer and then making a stereo mix of them. Then I'm gonna divide the stereo mix into two mono tracks, import them to the DP-01 and hard pan each of them. That way I can use the DP for final mixing. My computer is too old and crappy to make a final mix on.

But I like your ideas as well. That's what I like about this machine is that it gives you a lot of options as far as what you can do with it.

Dr.Bootleg said:
What I'm doing right now is putting about 8 to 9 tracks on the computer and then making a stereo mix of them. Then I'm gonna divide the stereo mix into two mono tracks, import them to the DP-01 and hard pan each of them. That way I can use the DP for final mixing. My computer is too old and crappy to make a final mix on.

But I like your ideas as well. That's what I like about this machine is that it gives you a lot of options as far as what you can do with it.

Witihn this, you may find it to be a good idea to master it on your computer. Even a free program like audacity should do this with pretty minimal requirements. Basically the DP01 doesnt seem to give a vry hot master and it can be hard to edit. What I would do is mx it then export to a program to edit and then to boost your final volume output. I have found this to be very effective.

Back