levels question

starfox

OK so after reading numerous posts about levels and keeping them low during the mix, I turn to the tascam users. Where should I set the mic/guitar input level (US-122) if I have a stack mic'ed and the amp volume at about 1/3.

Which input level should I be more concerned with the amp or the mic pre.

First you have to get the exact tone you want between the pre amp and the guitar amp in the room,make sure it isn't too loud.

Once you have the sound you want max out your line in level so that it is as high as possible but not clipping maybe use a pad button (if you got it) also a small amount of compression can make it a bit easier to get a sweet level but its kinda tough to use takes time if you aren't used to it can be a good thing but really bad if you don't know what you are doing.

After you get a good recording, mix all the tracks with the master at 0db then cut back the master out to allow at least 1/3 headroom for good amount to work with when mastering time comes.Make a master stereo mix and master it in some mastering software but that is an entirely different subject.

thanks for the breakdown. I've been trying diffrent things for about 6 months, I'll give this a shot, much obliged.

villain76 said:
Once you have the sound you want max out your line in level so that it is as high as possible but not clipping

There are a LOT of working music engineers who would argue your ear off about this statement.......

and, if this advice is not sound (no pun intended) it will be extremely difficult for a novice to figure out what is wrong with it......

Best counter-suggestion I can give you is go over to The Recording Project forums and read posts on mastering by MassiveMastering. VERY educational. I have tried what I learned from it, and the improvement in mix quality is undeniable. It is almost impossible to explain in words, but it is very easy to hear the difference......

villain76 said:
Once you have the sound you want max out your line in level so that it is as high as possible but not clipping
As soundchaser just said, I will argue your ear off about that.

With a distorted electric guitar, the sustain of a chord should be around -18dbfs (in the computer) If you record too hot, your sound will suffer.

Back