Learning the DP24

cwhowell2

Did my first mixdown and like the new feature of setting the start point. The 2488 always started at 00 and went to the end-mark. Also like that the master is a stereo wav file that does NOT have to be exported. It's available on the SD card. Just USB it or copy & paste from the card. I may play around with the mastering features, but usually use CoolEdit2000 to tweak final mixes. All my final album production is done on a PC workstation, so I doubt I'll spend much time with the DP24 mastering features.

Still working on my first tracks but will post something when done. In the mean time, here's a little roll-around stand I made for my DP24. Makes it more convenient to setup for a session. - Billmix.jpg

It was a fairly easy project. A sheet of 3/4" melamine from Lowes along with a quarter sheet of beadboard, 2 pair of casters and a couple dozen deck screws. I may paint the raw edges of the melamine someday (and maybe I won't). One thing that doesn't show up well in the photo is the slope of the top to bring everything to the correct angle for access from a regular office chair. Works great next to my computer desk or while sitting on a short stool, playing bass or guitar. Next, I need to talk my wife into stitching a dust cover for the whole thing. PS: I love the new color display of the DP-24. No more fiddling with the contrast knob everytime I change my angle of view. - Bill

Nice rollaround ya got there.... I'm having a problem with recording phatom mics. I recoring drums using two overhead condenser mics. My problem is the two over heads are overloading, there peeking out in led sreen but not on the track trim peek light, anyone got an Idea on this???

Nice rollaround ya got there.... I'm having a problem with recording phatom mics. I recoring drums using two overhead condenser mics. My problem is the two over heads are overloading, there peeking out in led sreen but not on the track trim peek light, anyone got an Idea on this???

James, you fail to mention where your trim is at...if you have trim at 12:00 there is no hard and fast rule that you HAVE to have your trim at 12:00....in this case I would lower the trim to 10:00, then 9:00 etc....you can also back up the mic a tad...But I would start with the trim if you want up close drums.....

I wouldn't peak beyond -4-6 db, preferably -6....

Hope that helps

Thanks steve,
Hey its only peaking in the color LED screen not in the track. I had the trim all the way off, to the point where there was no sound and still was showing red in on those two tracks... I will take some pic's later and show you. As far as the distance goes I use the stardard 5 feet from the snare. I have use thuis distance before,,no problems. How would I tell if I'm peaking at -6 db......???? ( sorry for the newbie stuff).

Thanks again mate

Thanks steve,
Hey its only peaking in the color LED screen not in the track. I had the trim all the way off, to the point where there was no sound and still was showing red in on those two tracks... I will take some pic's later and show you. As far as the distance goes I use the stardard 5 feet from the snare. I have use thuis distance before,,no problems. How would I tell if I'm peaking at -6 db......???? ( sorry for the newbie stuff).

Thanks again mate

-6db is below the red....You NEVER want to record digital in the red...How high is the stereo fader? Do you have the COMPRESSOR on ? If so what it the gain ?

I picked up an inexpensive 8 channel Peavey mixer, and set up a permanent sub mix for the drums....kick, snare/hat, and 2 overheads, each in their own channel, properly EQ'd, and levels set to hit in the yellow, just under the red. I take the stereo out from that mixer into 2 inputs on the 2488, and assign to a stereo pair. This insures that the drums sound good, don't peak, and allow for just a touch of EQ tweaking, if needed, in the mix.
Another benefit is that I can run 2 keyboards into that Peavey mixer, EQ and level, and bring them into the 2488, again to a stereo pair....virtually eliminates endless cable swapping at the 2488 inputs in the back, and the drums and keys are always set just where I want them to be......well worth the cost (under $100) of the Peavey mixer for convenience!

-6db is below the red....You NEVER want to record digital in the red...How high is the stereo fader? Do you have the COMPRESSOR on ? If so what it the gain ?

no compressor and the stereo fader is all the way down, take a look at my shitty lighting youtube post. if i have the faders off, trim off and the strereo fader off there should be no signal at all right...????

no compressor and the stereo fader is all the way down, take a look at my shitty lighting youtube post. if i have the faders off, trim off and the strereo fader off there should be no signal at all right...????

James yes you WILL have a signal....But notice with your track fader off, your stereo left and right in the right bottom corner does not show signal....my mic and keyboard show signal when everything is down...but not when phantom is off....

Back