Just got a new 388!

Analog_Smith

Hey Guys, I just bought a new Tascam 388 studio B in near mint shape (the vu light on 8 is out) and I have no clue how to use it. Surprise. So I downloaded the manual, and am going to start screwing around tonight, teaching myself the ropes. Now because of the fact I've never used an analog recorder of any sort, I have a few reletively begginers questions. How do I thread the tape, I know how to get it on, but is there a groove in the reel to put the tape on, how do i get it to wind. (sorry again) and is there anything that I should avoid doing, i would hate to damage such a good piece of equipment. Anyhelp appreciated, even if you just send me to a good FAQs or Help Section.

Thank you,
The New Analog Smith

That machine was my first R2R too. I didn't have a clue about using it when I got it home. The manual told me everything I needed to know to get rolling though.
Don't freak out. Just start reading, trying and understanding your machine. You'll be fine.
They aren't as fragile as you think.

Thanks Man

I appreciate you posting back, I started reading the manual last night, looks like it'll be my bible for the next few months :) I am relatively a begginer to home recording in general, so finding this BBS was a blessing, I'm sure I'll be kicking around here the next few months aswell. Maybe I'll post some recordings when I finally get things going. Thanks Again. :)

You thread tape like this,...

down-under-over-under-through-over-under-up!

See, that was easy!:eek::eek:;)

Naw,... just pulling your leg. Anyway, that is the way to thread tape, but consult the manual too.

Congrats on the 388. One tip not covered clearly in the manual is the channel-assign section. The 4 white buttons on each channel numbered [1-8] assign the mixer channel's signal to any of 8 tape tracks. However, just below that is 1 red button labelled L/R. Due to the internal archictecture of the 388, the track-assign, monitor and Stereo L/R outputs share the same stereo buss. What that means in practical terms, is that you may not depress any white Assign button simultaneously with any red L/R button on any channel, or the 388 goes into auto-mute to prevent an internal feedback loop from occurring.

That's just what you learn from experience, and I don't think the manual clearly states that at all. Maybe it's implied, thru so much engineering tech talk, but I don't remember ever reading that verbatim. Just ran across this issue during normal use.

I've recorded on a 388 since Y2K, and I've posted stuff up. If you're interested, please check my SC home page & read the recording notes for each song. There are about 7 covers I've produced on the 388 up there. Never mind that, this post is not about self promotion.

Congrats on the 388. This machine is generally loved, tho' you might ooccasionally find one crank in the crowd who'll pan it as a horrible sounding machine. Go figure.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 388kb.jpg
    1-Tascam 388kb.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
the 388 is a great piece of equipment. I love mine with all of my heart. You can breeze through the manual in a few days (unless youre going into the schematics). It took me one or two classes at school:rolleyes:. Just dont forget to arm for record on the perfect take or switch back to mic or line after in Remix! It's happened to me all too many times. Foolish me.

Good luck, post some recordings.:)

Getting There

Well, I got my tape threaded, and I'm cruising through the manual at a pretty decent pace. I appreciated you guys showing love for the 388, I purchased it from a friend not knowing much about it, just knowing I wanted to record on a reel to reel, it's nice to see the machine is loved by it's users. Songs will definetly follow.

P.S. If anyone out there is still reading this, another newbie question, when it comes time to port the tapes on to my computer, does anyone know of a good quality real time capturing card? or even a more efficient way to transfer my analog recordings into a digital format?

Back