I'm In Trouble Please Help!!!

Filthy Home

I have broken the plastic flip-up cassette lid on my friends Tascam Portastudio 488 mk2. It no longer flips up pleasingly in the way that it used to. I know this is a minor issue that doesn't really interfere with the operation of the unit, but my friend is very proud of this item and I will be VERY BADLY HURT unless I can fix the problem somehow. It took so much persuading and assurances that everything would be fine to get to use it and I cannot believe what I have done.

I've emailed tascam about it and had no response.

Anyone have any suggestions? The faintest lead will be ver much appreciated.

All the best Tascam users.

Martin Filthy Home

Dude.

You're fucked. :eek: ;):D

If you want to be on the up-and-up about it, you have to tell your friend what happened, and of course that you'll pay for all repair costs.

Or you could just buy him a brand-new unit and keep the one you broke.

You can try to delay returning it long enough to get a replacement part from Tascam, but considering what I normally hear about their customer support (hard to get through to anyone), that may be quite some while.

Good luck!

Ah, the painful truth!

Thanks for the bleak but to-the-point replies. I've come clean and the owner whilst obviously pissed off, has been very gracious about it. I'll keep pestering Tascam for the part, and of course cover what it might cost to get fixed. This is what happens when you try mixing in the dark!

All the best,

Martin Filthy Home

I'm just going by photos here, but it looks like the 488 and 424 decks use the same cover. Maybe someone can confirm/debunk this. If they are the same, worst case scenario is that you can get a used 424 for a little cheaper.:cool:

Thanks for the bleak but to-the-point replies. I've come clean and the owner whilst obviously pissed off, has been very gracious about it. I'll keep pestering Tascam for the part, and of course cover what it might cost to get fixed. This is what happens when you try mixing in the dark!

All the best,

Martin Filthy Home

Well, you did the right thing. Hope you can get it back in shape soon.

And stop mixing in the dark! :eek::D

Back