If anyone can, I hope TasCan?

wordizbon

Need help here. I just destroyed my Mackie 1402 mixer. I am looking into getting a new one.

I have Cubase VST & SX, I also have a MOTU 2408 mk II hard disk unit & a midi timepiece AV.

I am debating on an Analog or Digital mixer. I have been focused on getting the Mackie 1604vlz pro. It always has great ratings and I also like the 4 external bus. Then I came across this Behringer DDX3216 digital Mixer. Looks like it has great reviews.

So I don't really know what is the potential of using a digital mixer. Since it has Tdif connectiviity, could that expand the connectivity with my CPU since I have a 2408 and bounce tracks? Is there storage on the mixer? I need these questions answered.

Could someone help!! Who has the knowledge?!!! HELP Me PPLleassee!

the only thing i don't like about digital mixers is just that you've got to replace the whole thing when everyone moves from 24bit to 32bit whereas having separate components makes upgrading less costly.

are you going digital so you'll have more inputs into the 2408 via ADAT lightpipe? are you going to get the ADAT expansion slots for the digital mixer so you can connect the mixer to the 2408 using lightpipe?

i'm very interested in the MOTU 896 firewire. if i ever upgrade my d/a/d that will be the direction i take.

currently, i use:

house:
fmr audio RNP stereo (mic-pre for vocals, DI for bass/guitar)
mackie 1604 vlz pro (mic-pre for drums and stuff)
frontier designs tango24/wavecenter combo
sonar

out and about:
fmr audio rnp
tascam us428
sonar

I would like to use as many outputs as possible. Haven't figured out the advantage of the digital mixer yet. I guess using both analog and the digital outputs makes sense. I would definately get the expansion. Is it worth it? Let me know. By the way, are the expansions expensive?

Also is the quality (headroom/noise) comparable to the mackie 1604?

Back