I found a Tascam 388 for sale ADVICE QUICK PLEASE!

HUMANSareANALOG

hello everybody, Im a long time lurker, this is my first post. I found a tascam 388 for sale by some guy near me. I have no experience with reel to reel machines, can someone please tell me what I should be looking for and what questions to ask him? He is asking $300 for it, from what ive read online, that sounds like a cheap price for it. Right now Ive been using a tascam 688 which is badass in my opinion, but I want a fuller sound so i want to get a 388. Does anyone know if you can sync the 388 and the 688 together? Also, do they make dust covers for either of those machines, or carry cases? peace everyone

hello everybody, Im a long time lurker, this is my first post. I found a tascam 388 for sale by some guy near me. I have no experience with reel to reel machines, can someone please tell me what I should be looking for and what questions to ask him? He is asking $300 for it, from what ive read online, that sounds like a cheap price for it. Right now Ive been using a tascam 688 which is badass in my opinion, but I want a fuller sound so i want to get a 388. Does anyone know if you can sync the 388 and the 688 together? Also, do they make dust covers for either of those machines, or carry cases? peace everyone

The proper way to evaluate this machine is to:
1. Power up and hook up to amplifier. Test every channel for crackling pots, EQ works and faders are smooth and working.
2. Record test tones in the 1K and 10K frequencies. Record and playback paying attention to tracks 1 and 8. The tones should not "waver" and should be at the same consistant volume as the original signal.
3. Look at heads with a mag glass. Heads should have a good shape at the headgap. Worn heads taper and could look like an hourglass, triangle or upside down triangle where the tape meets the heads. Also, look for dirty transport. If the heads are cleaned and machine maintained, it will not have tape shed all over the place.
4. Transport function all checked. Rewind/wind functions work properly at beginning and mid tape on the reel.
5.Ask for an alignment tape and manual. Probably has neither, but good to ask as they both cost $$$
6. Ask to see any tapes he has been using. Are the tapes in good condition> Are the tape edges sharp or do they look "wavey"? Wavey suggests transport alignment/tension problems.

Overall condition is the real indicator of how well the machine has been treated.

Good Luck!

Thanks MCI2424, I just sent you a private message

The proper way to evaluate this machine is to:
1. Power up and hook up to amplifier. Test every channel for crackling pots, EQ works and faders are smooth and working.
2. Record test tones in the 1K and 10K frequencies. Record and playback paying attention to tracks 1 and 8. The tones should not "waver" and should be at the same consistant volume as the original signal.
3. Look at heads with a mag glass. Heads should have a good shape at the headgap. Worn heads taper and could look like an hourglass, triangle or upside down triangle where the tape meets the heads. Also, look for dirty transport. If the heads are cleaned and machine maintained, it will not have tape shed all over the place.
4. Transport function all checked. Rewind/wind functions work properly at beginning and mid tape on the reel.
5.Ask for an alignment tape and manual. Probably has neither, but good to ask as they both cost $$$
6. Ask to see any tapes he has been using. Are the tapes in good condition> Are the tape edges sharp or do they look "wavey"? Wavey suggests transport alignment/tension problems.

Overall condition is the real indicator of how well the machine has been treated.

Good Luck!

Where can I post some recordings from my Tascam 688 on here? I want to get some of your alls opinions

Back