How To Record Electronic Drums On My DP-24SD

Illsidgus

Desiccated Member
Hello to all. I have been a member of this forum since 2012 but this is my first time, I think, posting in this forum. I recently purchased a DP-24SD, I was using a 244 before this, and am considering purchasing an electronic drum kit. I would like to have a traditional kit but my wife would stab me through the heart with a drum stick if I had one and started banging away on it in the house.
Here is my dilemma, since the DP-24SD does not have a midi port, how does one go about recording the drums direct to the recorder? Playing them through an amp and miking it is out of the question. Help please?

I don't know what drum kit you are planning to get, but when I use my Alesis SR18, I just ran the line outs from the Alesis to line in on either my Yamaha AW1600 or my Zoom R24. I run with a very rough scratch track just to keep an idea of what verse I was on, and to follow along any solo sections.

In this case, there's no midi involved, just audio.

Thank you for your reply. I am looking at the Alesis Surge Mesh, it is fairly inexpensive and has the features that I want. What I really want is the Ludwig kits that I had in the late 1960s and early 70s. I'll see if I can find a good description of the Surge Mesh to get a better understanding of what you wrote. Again, thank you.

According to the Alesis site, the Surge module has stereo line outputs, so you would just feed those directly to the line inputs of the DP24SD. Hit record and start playing.

It looks like there's a "performance recorder", which should let you play a song, and have it play it back, like a player piano. That would be great for practicing!

Wish I had some drumming skills. Oh well, I can't dance either!

Thank you again for your reply, it is very helpful. This is my first foray into the digital recording world. I went with the DP-24 instead of the computer route because I like the idea of having something that I could actually touch. Like my Tascam 244 it has faders a knobs and buttons to push which gives my more of a connection to music than a mouse would. Again thank you for that info.

I can understand. I've got 4 different stand alone recorders, 2 Yamahas, 2 Zooms. Its a bit like just loading up a tape deck and doing recording. Punch in/out is possible, but its a bit of a pain, which tends to make me just play straight through, and do retakes to correct mistakes. With the Zoom, I can dump it into the computer to mix, that's easier.

I really like the stand alones for remote recording.

Back