How do you record with the Tascam US 16X08 ?

Music King

Everything with this interface works in my case. I can record but I just don't know how to lower the output of whats already recorded in other tracks, so that I can mostly hear what I'm playing when recording a new track.

I've sent them a couple of technical assistance request for at least a tutorial, but to no avail. I've owned this interface for just about six weeks and I'm very disappointed with their technical support. Its non-existent.

Sonar 8.5. But what does the DAW have to do with that? I own 3 interfaces that I've used with it, and all have the ability to monitor the signal out, while the recording track is blended to whatever level one needs. It's always the settings panel, or the interface's hardware that allows one to do this. On this Tascam I haven't been able to figure how to do that. It's the routing tab on the Tascam software panel which is confusing and I have yet to understand how it works, or how to monitor the out signal while recording an instrument.

First thing... if you are wanting to monitor what you are playing without any delay (latency) then you need to set up the outputs as shown below. Outputs 1-2 must be Master L and R. This will allow you to get the feed directly from the interface to the headphones and monitor speakers. You probably want to turn down the monitors to eliminate any possible feedback.

Now, you should be able to plug your microphone into one of the inputs and bring the volume up until it starts to register in the Tascam mixing panel. Once you see that, you can adjust the headphone output so that you can hear it clearly.

Finally, in your DAW, lower the master fader and start playback. Bring the fader up until it gives you enough volume to follow the track but not overwhelm the new vocal track (or whatever you are put on). Now, you can arm your new track in the DAW to record, and away you go!

Yes, its a bit convoluted, but once you get the hang of it, its about a 30 second setup. I leave my monitor set up that way all the time and just adjust volume of the headphone or speaker output on the interface.

I may change things around since I've got an ART AMP-V headphone amp that I bought back in 2005 to use with my Yamaha AW16G. Alas, it sat in the box for 15 years. I'm going to try leaving the normal headphone and speakers set on computer 1 and 2 and feed line outs 3 and 4 from the Master L-R to the ART. That SHOULD give me Zero latency on the ART with 5 headphone connections. I just have to get the proper cables wired up.

Attachments

• Tascam setting to zero latency monitor.jpg
    Tascam setting to zero latency monitor.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 15
I'll try that and I'll shine in if I run into any problems. I am fortunate that I've never experienced any latency with audio, (but with MIDI I've had latency issues that I overcame by trying different settings or tweaks).

Sonar 8.5. But what does the DAW have to do with that?

Basically everything man. I am not sure what your exact input chain is, but that is where you route your inputs and outputs. The Tascam has some limited ability to do this for live situations on it's own, but...

Please explain your exact chain from input to output and how you are monitoring.

Sonar 8.5. But what does the DAW have to do with that?

There will be details to the routing from the DAW back to the interface that depend on what software you're using. If you were using Pro Tools or Vegas Pro I would be able to give you specific help on routing. Since you're using Sonar it's going to take someone familiar with that software to give you specific help.

TalismanRich had the correct answer. :thumbs up:

jimmys69's, you're correct that in Sonar one just chooses the interface's input or output drivers so I already knew that the problem was in Tascam's routing selection not in Sonar. I just didn't know what to select in Tascams output selection. Thanks guys! Works like a charm. Happy happy! Joy joy!! :guitar:

TalismanRich had the correct answer. :thumbs up:

jimmys69's, you're correct that in Sonar one just chooses the interface's input or output drivers so I already knew that the problem was in Tascam's routing selection not in Sonar. I just didn't know what to select in Tascams output selection. Thanks guys! Works like a charm. Happy happy! Joy joy!! :guitar:

Awesome! Glad you got it figured out.

Have fun creating! :guitar:

Back