HOLY CRAP!!! Tascam introduces the 2488!!!

:) man, that's nice. Kinda the big bro to the 788. I wish I could justify the price.

Looks nice. Too bad Tascam won't sell me one without a user support forum.

Looks like they gambled and invested in new products to generate new sales, at the expense of satisfied dedicated consumers.

I think Yamaha will get my next sale.

be warry of All-In-One boxes. Usually, one cannot upgrade one of these. Becomes outdated faster then a Computer or a HD Recorder. If the mixer or something else breaks and it cannot be repaired, you have the recycle the whole thing and buy a new gadget afterwards.

At that price sounds like a throw away item that is ment to last 2 years.

Just my opinion.

Well it looks like they did a few thing right.

To bad they didnt put a port for a full size computer screen though.

the announcement (by Tascam) of ANY new "Portastudio-type" product kinda caught me off guard.

24 tracks at 24 bits are nice specs (for the "estimated" price). interesting.

i notice that SCENE AUTOMATION is "apparently" missing (AGAIN) . bummer.

i also notice the lack of dedicated PAN/EQ knobs (which are present on some of Tascam's other "computer interface" consoles). ditto bummer.

USB 2.0 is included. nice.

it does look a little "ZOOM-ish" in the photos that i've seen. hmmmmmm.

on-board CD burner. well, okay.

i'd like to hear a bit more about the 2488. i've been looking for a digital unit to interface with my current analog stuff. i'm not gonna pass judgement just yet (especially given Tascam's abandonment of it's dedicated forums).

until then, we'll wait to see what unfolds.

songsj said:
If this thing is a good as it looks, when it hits 999.00 I'll own one!!

Well, that certainly want be too long. Starting price is $1199.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...130194833/g=home/search/detail/base_id/111276

Granted it might not have everything desired but it is very attractive for the price. I really need a video screen, so a VGA out would have been great. Considering how cheap the 788 got after about a year I will for sure give it a look after it circulates a while and starts to come down in price.

A very good question asked over on the 788 Refugee list was will it be able to read the 788 backups. This could be a huge factor for already existing 788 users.

vp

Last edited:
ahmedgarcia said:
be warry of All-In-One boxes. Usually, one cannot upgrade one of these. Becomes outdated faster then a Computer or a HD Recorder. If the mixer or something else breaks and it cannot be repaired, you have the recycle the whole thing and buy a new gadget afterwards.

At that price sounds like a throw away item that is ment to last 2 years.

Just my opinion.

I don't agree.
In three years of hard use I've made three upgrades on the OS plus 60g hard drive on my 788. I've purchased three computers during that same period and I don't want to even think about the software and sound cards. Since the knobs, faders, and buttons are all out the 788 parts bin I know I'll go a least three years without service even in the hot and dusty conditions I live in.

vaporpark said:
Well, that certainly want be too long. Starting price is $1199.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...130194833/g=home/search/detail/base_id/111276

Granted it might not have everything desired but it is very attractive for the price. I really need a video screen, so a VGA out would have been great. Considering how cheap the 788 got after about a year I will for sure give it a look after it circulates a while and starts to come down in price.

A very good question asked over on the 788 Refugee list was will it be able to read the 788 backups. This could be a huge factor for already existing 788 users.

vp

I would think it could read the backups but if not a worst case senerio would be to bring them up on a 788 and transfer them as converted .wavs

Arranger said:
Looks nice. Too bad Tascam won't sell me one without a user support forum.

Looks like they gambled and invested in new products to generate new sales, at the expense of satisfied dedicated consumers.

I think Yamaha will get my next sale.
Very good point!

Bad TASACM!

The box looks nice I guess, this stuff is kinda standard though. I guess I am just bored with the digital revolution.

philboyd studge said:
It's probably 18 channel faders and a master. Like the 788 or most stand alone machines, you'll have to sub mix.
I'm an analog user by nature.

I have a 16 track reel to reel and a 24 channel mixing desk at my disposal.

What is this "sub-mix" scenario that you refer to?

Does it mean you can only access a certain number of faders at any given moment and have to dive into a menu to get to the others? If so, why do they design it that way? It seems counter productive to seeing an entire picture of what's happening and saving a few bucks on a compromised design.

I wonder when digital recording will be inexpensive enough that they can design complete work surfaces that give you all the controls like a decent analog system would give you?

You would think that they have been at it long enough at this point to do that and not have it cost the price of a typical SSL console which would give the engineer this type of usability level.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
If it's 24 channels, why are there only 19 channel faders?:confused:

Looks to me like the first twelve tracks are mono and the next twelve are stereo... like the 7/8 tracks on the 788. So if you use stereo signals, you really have only 12 tracks.

I could be wrong though... let me know. :-)

You're exactly right, the first 12 channels are mono, then 6 stereo pairs with one fader each pair, then a master.

Back