Help! Using A Tascam M-30 and a B-34 To Dub Vinyl Records To Tape

Secret Saucer

I started a thread over here:
https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...how-do-i-dub-vinyl-records-tape-these-406066/

I'm new to this equipment and, even with the manual, cannot figure it out.
All I want to do is patch the tape-out ("record") output from my preamp (an old Accuphase C-280) into an M-30 and from the M-30 into the 34. The 34 rtr deck has no level controls, so it has to be done at the mixing board.

All I need is two-channel stereo, no EQ'ing or mixing or anything. And playback after the dub. I want to use both sides of the reels so I'm guessing I use tracks #1 and #3.

If anyone can steer a total newb through this man would I ever appreciate it. None of this seems intuitive at all, and I don't get what's in the manuals -- it seems they already assume a lot of knowledge and expertise.

Thanks in advance for any help...

It is very simple. Hook up the 4 line in of the deck to the Buss outs 1-4. Then put the Preamp outs into a couple of line inputs of the mixer. To get a recording on the 34 that is a standard 1/4 track stereo recording assign the left Accuphase input to buss one and the right one to buss three. Recording on tracks 1,3 is how the normal stereo format is done. When done with the first side turn tape over and keep on recording the same way do not change buss numbers. The track 1,3 when the tape is turned over become tracks 4, 2 and then when you are done with a 7.5 IPS recording of both sides then placing the tape on a deck like a X1000R will allow you to play the whole tape through with the auto reverse with no problems. It should also work on any deck that is the stereo 4 track format and that means a lot of different machines like A4300, A6300 and so on.
On some mixers if you press down more than one Buss button you have to turn the pan knob far left and far right to get the signals exclusively into the stereo channels of 1 and 3. Pan in some older mixers would pan odd to even channel as long as two buttons were pushed down. The buss 1 and 3 is all you really need to do this and of course have the master Fader in the 70% grey area. That is normal- if down to bottom you will get no buss outputs.

Contact me further if you have questions- I have been fixing these mixers since the mid 80's at Teac factory Service. That means we need to know how to work them and I also fix the decks as well.

Playback of the recording is again taking the 4 channels (you only need 1,3) input to the mixer. Then depending of the switch arrangement of the input channels- some mixers have a Tape in switch position, other just line in. So if you are using module inputs 1, 2 then the tape can come in any of the other such as 3,4 and then the signal can be assigned to buss 2, 4 so as to get away from a feedback loop and the buss 2,4 can be sent to the amplifier or preamp tape in for speaker driving through an amp. Most people that use the mixer and 4 channel deck for multi-track recording often set up a speaker monitor system using a monitor section on the mixer or sometimes a cue line or Aux line if they are stereo. There are lots of ways to use the mixer and an understanding of the function of the mixer in whole will give you the most power to do all kinds of things with it- special effects and tape loops and so on as well as recording separate track and mixing them.
My system makes use of a M50, M520 and a M1516 mixers all hooked together through patch bays but then I do have a lot of equipment here.

The M30 has a monitor section and a Monitor out on the back. For playback this would be the way to use it to feed the preamp back. Remember that when the deck is in source or input then its output if brought up and assigned to 1, 3 will cause a feed back loop- many a tweeters are wrecked doing this. I instruct all beginners to leave speaker amps down low while they learn their system so as to minimize speaker damage when feedback loops appear. It happen to everyone sooner of later.

Back