headphone monitoring bad quality - DP-24

offnote

Hi,
I am recording digital piano on my DP-24 but while monitoring piano sound
quality is not good, piano sounds like cut off, muffled. When headphones connected directly
to digital piano sound is perfect. What is going on, any tips?
thanks

p.s.
I may add the piano is connected stereo cable, left and right channel.

Last edited:
Offnote..........with the little bit of info you've given here........there's no possible way to trouble shoot your problem. We need a much better description of how the connections are made from the keyboard (what keyboard is it?) to the DP24..........how the DP24 is setup for the recording / monitoring. Obviously.......something is not right with how you've set up the DP24......or there is a bad connection somewhere..........but we not much more can be said.

Hi,
I am recording digital piano on my DP-24 but while monitoring piano sound
quality is not good, piano sounds like cut off, muffled. When headphones connected directly
to digital piano sound is perfect. What is going on, any tips?
thanks

p.s.
I may add the piano is connected stereo cable, left and right channel.

Hi,
the connection is pretty basic I'd say. Direct stereo cable (good quality jacks) from my roland RD700GX L/R output
to AB inputs on DP-24. Headphones (good ones) are connected to DP-24 front headphones input.
Then I arm tracks and can hear the piano. BTW my drum machine DR-880 on other tracks sounds fine.
Obviously just piano sound doesn't sound right. I must be missing something simple I guess...
thanks

I have to wonder how much experience you might have with the DP24. Not to insult you.....for sure......but it seems as if you may be new to it. Be sure that you have no effects or dynamics activated for either the A or B input. Of course you need to bring up your input volume on both A and B to a good level......before it overloads. You don't mention if the sound is too low or just cut off. (maybe you can post a sample?) Your drum machine may be producing a stronger output signal and may not need the pre-amps to be turned up for a decent signal and output sound. I'm assuming you have the faders up to about "0". Be sure you have the EQ settings for both tracks flattened out (and no phasing and no "insert effect). By "stereo cable" I assume you mean you have a stereo 1/4 " TRS single jack output on the Roland that is splitting out to two single 1/4 inch mono outputs to the DP24. Last question..........have you previously run your Roland out to any other type of equipment........amp.......recorder? Sorry to sound like I'm being tough on you.........I'm not. I was where you are once.

I have to wonder how much experience you might have with the DP24. Not to insult you.....for sure......but it seems as if you may be new to it. Be sure that you have no effects or dynamics activated for either the A or B input. Of course you need to bring up your input volume on both A and B to a good level......before it overloads. You don't mention if the sound is too low or just cut off. (maybe you can post a sample?) Your drum machine may be producing a stronger output signal and may not need the pre-amps to be turned up for a decent signal and output sound. I'm assuming you have the faders up to about "0". Be sure you have the EQ settings for both tracks flattened out (and no phasing and no "insert effect). By "stereo cable" I assume you mean you have a stereo 1/4 " TRS single jack output on the Roland that is splitting out to two single 1/4 inch mono outputs to the DP24. Last question..........have you previously run your Roland out to any other type of equipment........amp.......recorder? Sorry to sound like I'm being tough on you.........I'm not. I was where you are once.

Hi Mickster.
you're right I'm new to the unit and thanks for your tips. Definitely not insulted :) I just checked the effects and dynamics as you suggested, they seem to be all off. BTW the correct description of the piano sound I get is like a phaser was added, but very subtle. Volume source level I think is ok. I tried different pair of inputs to be sure but the effect is the same. What else I could look for :( Of course piano sound is very specific so you can easily hear any nuances, I have changed piano source for test to yamaha motif XS where source piano is even better quality then roland but same problem. To answer you last question I will try to run roland piano through digital recorder I have V-100 by roland and compare.
thanks

well, I have checked the same source with roland V-100 and it's much better, practically same as the source when using directly with headphones.
One big difference I have noticed is when I plug in headphones to monitor/playback from V-100 there is almost complete silence, no white noise when nothing is played.
On DP-24 I can hear always some white noise/hum even when I turn off all sources and put all volumes down, is it normal??? or I do again something silly...

p.s.
anyway piano sound is better now on DP-24 when I played a little bit with levels, still not the same, crystal as on roland recorder.

I'll take a shot at this. OK, so FX are off. You are using inputs A and B (L/R) ... are you then assigning them to a STEREO channel (eg, 13/14)? If you hear noise when not playing I'd suspect that your volume on the keyboard is a little too hot OR you're input TRIM (gain) is set too high or both. Try reducing the overall volume on the keyboard.

I'll take a shot at this. OK, so FX are off. You are using inputs A and B (L/R) ... are you then assigning them to a STEREO channel (eg, 13/14)? If you hear noise when not playing I'd suspect that your volume on the keyboard is a little too hot OR you're input TRIM (gain) is set too high or both. Try reducing the overall volume on the keyboard.

no, I didn't try to assign AB to stereo channel...and that may be it because output from my keyboard is stereo. Will try that in a moment. I didn't know channels are stereo and non-stereo.
The subtle hum in headphones was present if I am not mistaken even if I unplugged all the inputs. Will try again.
thank you

RustyAxe, you're the man! thanks a lot, that was it. After assigning piano input to stereo channel I got finally my perfect piano sound as the original source. No phasing :)

p.s.
Unfortunately very small hum still exists even if I din't have anything plugged in and sources trimmed down to zero. Will try to play with it yet but this is something
I can live with. On my roland recorder I got that effect if I increase volume with no source connected.

Back