has Tascam COMPLETELY abandoned the "Portastudio" concept??

Cratinus

just wondering (as i sit and stare at my lovely 246). obviously the cassette based multitrack format is slowly evaporating into the mist. i always thought that the mighty little 788 was a creative combination of traditional Portastudio features melded with some nice digital technology. it seems that Tascam has recently (also) sent the 788 to pasture, however. i wonder if a future digital Portastudio is in the works,.....a 1488 (or something to that effect)? it is certainly a stretch to call the new "SX series" units "Portastudios". perhaps a new unit will appear at NAMM. perhaps not. perhaps i care. perhaps i don't. i'd certainly LOVE to see it,..but i will love and pamper my 246 IN ANY CASE.

p.s. i recently spotted an MSR24 for sale. i NEARLY bought one of these NEW a few years back. i didn't own a mixer then and the price was a bit of a stretch for me. was this a decent unit?? thanks.

There's a lot of competition out there. Given the recent leaps in technology with USB 2.0, high-speed laptops, and DAW software, it's very likely that TASCAM doesn't see enough potential return on investment for building and supporting a next-generation 788. Personally, I wish that they could have released one with Firewire or USB 2.0 communications capabilities.

Of course, the 788 is beginning to show its age. But it's still an attractive unit, especially if you can pick one up for under $500.

Of course, the 788 is beginning to show its age. But it's still an attractive unit, especially if you can pick one up for under $500.
no doubt about that.
it's very likely that TASCAM doesn't see enough potential return on investment for building and supporting a next-generation 788.
good point,...but it's a shame really. the new Korg workstations are generating quite a bit of interest and (of course) the Roland, Akai and Yamaha units all seem to sell very well AND recieve good reviews. i think there is STILL a strong market for folks who want 16 and 24 track STANDALONE (and PORTABLE....as i find it hard to consider the new SX series units as being) workstations. as GOOD as the 788 is/was,..i can only imagine how good it's sucessor might have been (or perhaps WILL be). cheers.

I guess I have to wonder how much of an issue portability really is.

It's great to know we can take our 788s out without too many supporting elements, but how many users really do? Maybe the research indicates that most users bury their portastudios behind mixers and cables and other supporting hardware, to the point that they never truly get portable anymore.

The competition is tough and without strong advances in technology, it may not make sense to rehash what is already in existence. Many of us might venture to say that "we're there" meaning that there is little need to look beyond what we now have at our fingertips. The market may be saturated and the current demand at a standstill.

Tascam must, however, learn to look at the long-term if they are to SURVIVE. Support is critical to clients. Their hit-and-run position regarding sales is transparent and will bury them forever if they don't wake up soon.

"..Tascam must, however, learn to look at the long-term if they are to SURVIVE. Support is critical to clients. Their hit-and-run position regarding sales is transparent and will bury them forever if they don't wake up soon..."

-Arranger-

Man-You-said-it!
:)

Digital sucks anyway,...

so why keep rooting for a lame duck company like Tascam.

Of course it's a shame.

Just hold onto your 246, analog tape drives, other Portastudios & discrete analog mixers. There's a brisk market in this used equipment.

PS: There's nothing wrong with scoring an MSR24, and at today's prices are a literal steal.;)

Re: Digital sucks anyway,...

A Reel Person said:

Of course it's a shame.

Just hold onto your 246, analog tape drives, other Portastudios & discrete analog mixers. There's a brisk market in this used equipment.

PS: There's nothing wrong with scoring an MSR24, and at today's prices are a literal steal.;)

Amen Brother ... AMEN!! :D

Daniel

digital sucks????

i wouldn't say that. digital technology is a wonderful thing. sure, i LOVE the warm sound of analog tape and the rich sound of vinyl records (sans the scratching and popping :) ) as much as anyone, but i certainly would never restrict myself to an ALL-ANALOG format (ALL the time). i love my 246 and i love my 238. at some point i'd love to own a solid Tascam reel-to-reel multitrack. BUT,..i hope to integrate (i actually do this now, really) my analog recorders with the benefits of digital multitracking. i think there is room for such a setup, and it's my objective to have "the best of both worlds" at my disposal. there may be projects that i want to utilize my 246 for (and NOTHING else). other times i might enjoy the benefits of 100's of virtual tracks and automated digital mixing to achieve the desired result that i'm after. others may feel differently. i'm certainly NOT going to TRADE IN my CD and DVD players for a Telefunken and a HI-8 projector anytime soon (although i'd MOST CERTAINLY love to own BOTH of those items).
i can't help it. i've had such positive experiences with their products AND their customer service (in the past) that i just have to cross my fingers and hope that they "show me something". i look at Tascam as an "old friend" who has lost his/her way. call my the eternal optimist but i HOPE FOR THE BEST. i'm not "quite" ready to turn my back on the "big T" just yet. in the meantime i'll continue to enjoy my Tascam analog products (and probably add a few more to my collection before it's all said and done) and attempt to upgrade the DIGITAL capabilites of my setup as well. there is plenty of room for BOTH mediums in my home studio. cheers.

p.s. REGARDING THAT MSR24 i brought up,..was it released with BOTH DBX AND Dolby S noise reduction?? i THINK (if i remember correctly) the unit i nearly bought had Dolby S. i could be wrong.

p.s.s. nothing but good feelings to all those (like myself) who love the products of "Tascam's heyday". i'm about to drink a frosty beer in your honor. cheers redux!!:D

Looking at TASCAM's consumer division, TEAC; that division is making a concerted push to bring back the older clientèle by introducing a series of retro style radios that have AM/FM digital radios, CD players and sub-woofers built in with full remote control and even a snooze bar and alarm to use as a souped up alarm clock!

This type of marketing shows that they feel the need to appease their older clients old there with a sense of nostalgia and memories of when all things were analog, yet, they make this product with all digital components?

Perhaps TASCAM might one day offer a retro style reel to reel that offers the look and feel of analog, all the while a hard drive is hidden inside the machine recording our tracks digitally.

I wonder how many would buy a product like that?

Me, I am happy with my TASCAM MS16, 16 track, 1 inch analog recorder but, it won't last forever. Parts will one day be unavailable and the technicians who could fix it and keep it running all dead from old age.

I wonder.:confused:

I guess it depends what you use your portastudio for. If, like me, you take it on business trips to "diddle on the guitar" while your stuck in a hotel for a week, then the USB/cakewalk thing may not work since often corporations do not allow non-company software on their laptops.

One could always purchase a second laptop used I guess.

My 244 has probably been on 85% of the business trips I've been on. Its big and a little heavy, but it works very well and has been dead-nuts reliable.

I've been considering upgrading to one of those new digital units, such as the Tascam Pocket Studio 5, the Korg PXR4, The Fostex MR8, maybe the Zoom PS04 and whatever Boss/Roland calls their little squeeze box.

For me, I don't need "studio quality", I have a home studio for professional grade recordings. I just need something light and easy to lug around as a sketchpad.

frederic said:
I guess it depends what you use your portastudio for. If, like me, you take it on business trips to "diddle on the guitar" while your stuck in a hotel for a week, then the USB/cakewalk thing may not work since often corporations do not allow non-company software on their laptops.

One could always purchase a second laptop used I guess.

My 244 has probably been on 85% of the business trips I've been on. Its big and a little heavy, but it works very well and has been dead-nuts reliable.

I've been considering upgrading to one of those new digital units, such as the Tascam Pocket Studio 5, the Korg PXR4, The Fostex MR8, maybe the Zoom PS04 and whatever Boss/Roland calls their little squeeze box.

For me, I don't need "studio quality", I have a home studio for professional grade recordings. I just need something light and easy to lug around as a sketchpad.

Good to know you like your 244. I know I love mine! :) . I bought one absolutely "mint" with all the manuals and brochures etc .. If I were you, I'd stick with the 244 especially as it serves you so well. I think you may be disappointed by the choices you mention. For one, they have the irritating menu systems (no fun) and, two, they won't sound as nice and natural as your 244. Stick with it my friend and forget "going digital". Damn, I've heard that phrase uttered so many times now that I've grown to be really irritated by it. :mad:

Daniel

frederic said:

and whatever Boss/Roland calls their little squeeze box.

More like a "shit box" if you ask me ... Sorry, as you probably can tell I'm not too fond of these cheap, light, plastic multitrackers.

Daniel

Portability

Portability is very important to me. I just recorded two student recitals last weekend - over 50 kids! The results were stunning.

I just packed my 788, one Rode NT1000 and a little ART Tube MP pre-amp in my suitcase and set myself up behind the decorations.

The teachers and students could not believe their ears when they heard the CD's this week! I have to admit, I was amazed myself. Of course, it helps to have a 7' Steinway in a great room. But I have to give a lot of credit to the 788. Just about everyone wants a copy, and I'm more than happy to ablige them at 10 buck a pop.

Re: Portability

Saul Matas said:
Portability is very important to me. I just recorded two student recitals last weekend - over 50 kids! The results were stunning.

I just packed my 788, one Rode NT1000 and a little ART Tube MP pre-amp in my suitcase and set myself up behind the decorations.

The teachers and students could not believe their ears when they heard the CD's this week! I have to admit, I was amazed myself. Of course, it helps to have a 7' Steinway in a great room. But I have to give a lot of credit to the 788. Just about everyone wants a copy, and I'm more than happy to ablige them at 10 buck a pop.

That's great! I've done a few of those too and the appreciation from parents and schools made it worth my time to sell at cost. Should have gone for 10 bucks too.

Since getting my 788 several years ago I've done around 40 remote projects of musicians, combos, has-been's, and wannabe's. The 788 has paid for itself many times over and if it broke I'd get another one off ebay and pop in the big hard drive and 2.2 chip and keep going. I don't want to go through the learning curve of another stand alone recorder and my laptop is 16 bit.

Back