Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: has Tascam COMPLETELY abandoned the "Portastudio" concept??

Thanks

has Tascam COMPLETELY abandoned the "Portastudio" concept??

Sign in to disable this ad
    just wondering (as i sit and stare at my lovely 246). obviously the cassette based multitrack format is slowly evaporating into the mist. i always thought that the mighty little 788 was a creative combination of traditional Portastudio features melded with some nice digital technology. it seems that Tascam has recently (also) sent the 788 to pasture, however. i wonder if a future digital Portastudio is in the works,.....a 1488 (or something to that effect)? it is certainly a stretch to call the new "SX series" units "Portastudios". perhaps a new unit will appear at NAMM. perhaps not. perhaps i care. perhaps i don't. i'd certainly LOVE to see it,..but i will love and pamper my 246 IN ANY CASE.

p.s. i recently spotted an MSR24 for sale. i NEARLY bought one of these NEW a few years back. i didn't own a mixer then and the price was a bit of a stretch for me. was this a decent unit?? thanks.

Thanks
    There's a lot of competition out there. Given the recent leaps in technology with USB 2.0, high-speed laptops, and DAW software, it's very likely that TASCAM doesn't see enough potential return on investment for building and supporting a next-generation 788. Personally, I wish that they could have released one with Firewire or USB 2.0 communications capabilities.

Of course, the 788 is beginning to show its age. But it's still an attractive unit, especially if you can pick one up for under $500.

Thanks
    Of course, the 788 is beginning to show its age. But it's still an attractive unit, especially if you can pick one up for under $500.
    no doubt about that.
    it's very likely that TASCAM doesn't see enough potential return on investment for building and supporting a next-generation 788.
    good point,...but it's a shame really. the new Korg workstations are generating quite a bit of interest and (of course) the Roland, Akai and Yamaha units all seem to sell very well AND recieve good reviews. i think there is STILL a strong market for folks who want 16 and 24 track STANDALONE (and PORTABLE....as i find it hard to consider the new SX series units as being) workstations. as GOOD as the 788 is/was,..i can only imagine how good it's sucessor might have been (or perhaps WILL be). cheers.

Thanks
    I guess I have to wonder how much of an issue portability really is.

It's great to know we can take our 788s out without too many supporting elements, but how many users really do? Maybe the research indicates that most users bury their portastudios behind mixers and cables and other supporting hardware, to the point that they never truly get portable anymore.

The competition is tough and without strong advances in technology, it may not make sense to rehash what is already in existence. Many of us might venture to say that "we're there" meaning that there is little need to look beyond what we now have at our fingertips. The market may be saturated and the current demand at a standstill.

Tascam must, however, learn to look at the long-term if they are to SURVIVE. Support is critical to clients. Their hit-and-run position regarding sales is transparent and will bury them forever if they don't wake up soon.

Thanks

Thumbs up

"..Tascam must, however, learn to look at the long-term if they are to SURVIVE. Support is critical to clients. Their hit-and-run position regarding sales is transparent and will bury them forever if they don't wake up soon..."

-Arranger-

Man-You-said-it!

Thanks
    amen to that!

Thanks

Re: has Tascam COMPLETELY abandoned the "Portastudio" concept??

Yes.

Thanks

Arrow Digital sucks anyway,...

so why keep rooting for a lame duck company like Tascam.

Of course it's a shame.

Just hold onto your 246, analog tape drives, other Portastudios & discrete analog mixers. There's a brisk market in this used equipment.

PS: There's nothing wrong with scoring an MSR24, and at today's prices are a literal steal.

Thanks

Re: Digital sucks anyway,...

Originally posted by A Reel Person

Of course it's a shame.

Just hold onto your 246, analog tape drives, other Portastudios & discrete analog mixers. There's a brisk market in this used equipment.

PS: There's nothing wrong with scoring an MSR24, and at today's prices are a literal steal.
    Amen Brother ... AMEN!!

Daniel

Thanks

digital sucks????

i wouldn't say that. digital technology is a wonderful thing. sure, i LOVE the warm sound of analog tape and the rich sound of vinyl records (sans the scratching and popping ) as much as anyone, but i certainly would never restrict myself to an ALL-ANALOG format (ALL the time). i love my 246 and i love my 238. at some point i'd love to own a solid Tascam reel-to-reel multitrack. BUT,..i hope to integrate (i actually do this now, really) my analog recorders with the benefits of digital multitracking. i think there is room for such a setup, and it's my objective to have "the best of both worlds" at my disposal. there may be projects that i want to utilize my 246 for (and NOTHING else). other times i might enjoy the benefits of 100's of virtual tracks and automated digital mixing to achieve the desired result that i'm after. others may feel differently. i'm certainly NOT going to TRADE IN my CD and DVD players for a Telefunken and a HI-8 projector anytime soon (although i'd MOST CERTAINLY love to own BOTH of those items).
    i can't help it. i've had such positive experiences with their products AND their customer service (in the past) that i just have to cross my fingers and hope that they "show me something". i look at Tascam as an "old friend" who has lost his/her way. call my the eternal optimist but i HOPE FOR THE BEST. i'm not "quite" ready to turn my back on the "big T" just yet. in the meantime i'll continue to enjoy my Tascam analog products (and probably add a few more to my collection before it's all said and done) and attempt to upgrade the DIGITAL capabilites of my setup as well. there is plenty of room for BOTH mediums in my home studio. cheers.

p.s. REGARDING THAT MSR24 i brought up,..was it released with BOTH DBX AND Dolby S noise reduction?? i THINK (if i remember correctly) the unit i nearly bought had Dolby S. i could be wrong.

p.s.s. nothing but good feelings to all those (like myself) who love the products of "Tascam's heyday". i'm about to drink a frosty beer in your honor. cheers redux!!

Thread Information