Hard disk space filed on 2488 neo

Jer-Bear

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on how to clear unused hard disc space from my 2488 neo. While I was tracking my last harmony vocal part I got a message on my screen that said my drive was full and I needed to first exit; then delete all unused space. What would be the proper sequence on my machine to do this?

Please help so I can finish my song

Jer-Bear

As you record parts and listen to them and don't like them and then re-record those parts, you amass a bunch of "unused" parts. You need to make sure you don't need any of the bits and pieces you are no longer using and then go to the main song menu and "delete unused", and do that for each project you've amassed bunches of parts you no longer use.

rct

The 2488 manual goes into the whole "Delete Unused" option in more detail. Effectively, if you record something from 0:01:00 to 0:01:10 on track 1, then you record something over it on the same track, from 0:00:59 to 0:01:11, the old part can be deleted by running the "Delete Unused" command. However, if any piece of the old part is not overwritten (i.e. is still exposed as current audio), the "Delete Unused" function will do nothing.

For example, no data will be deleted when "Delete Unused" is called in the following scenarios:

• Old audio: 0:01:00 to 0:01:10, New audio 0:01:05 to 0:01:15
  • Old audio: 0:00:55 to 0:01:05, new audio: 0:01:00 to 0:01:10
If you need more space after running this command on all your projects, or you need to maintain old parts that have been recorded over, you can also look into running a backup of some old projects - this will let you save old projects off the machine (either on CD or through USB), and free up the space.

Thanks guys, you're the best!! Mission accomplished!!!

Being new to digital recording I am sometimes overwhelmed by the whole jist of it having sold my old TRS 8 reel to reel 15 years ago. I'm an old dog trying to learn something new in my spare time. I appreciate the knowledge on this forum and probably will have a lot more questions to come.

Jer_ Bear

The 2488 manual goes into the whole "Delete Unused" option in more detail. Effectively, if you record something from 0:01:00 to 0:01:10 on track 1, then you record something over it on the same track, from 0:00:59 to 0:01:11, the old part can be deleted by running the "Delete Unused" command. However, if any piece of the old part is not overwritten (i.e. is still exposed as current audio), the "Delete Unused" function will do nothing.

For example, no data will be deleted when "Delete Unused" is called in the following scenarios:

• Old audio: 0:01:00 to 0:01:10, New audio 0:01:05 to 0:01:15
  • Old audio: 0:00:55 to 0:01:05, new audio: 0:01:00 to 0:01:10
If you need more space after running this command on all your projects, or you need to maintain old parts that have been recorded over, you can also look into running a backup of some old projects - this will let you save old projects off the machine (either on CD or through USB), and free up the space.
That's mis-leading and might even be plain wrong. I'm not blaming you, I know you're quoting the manual. But, in that case, TASCAM's manual is mis-leading or maybe plain wrong.

To say " the "Delete Unused" function will do nothing" makes no sense to me, weather the original part is totally over-written or not. The action of recording goes into the UN-Do menu and stays there until you Delete Un-Used.

We can all try this and see what happens:

Record a bunch of parts, either over-writing earlier parts or not, it doesn't matter. Do a few copy and pastes and whatever other actions you want to throw in there. Now, go into the Un-Do menu. Everything you did is listed, one on top of the other. Now, go to Delete U-Used and select it. When you go back to the Un-Do menu, all those actions will be gone, even the parts that only got partially over-written. That's got to clear up memory.

Maybe I'm mis-understanding what TASCAM is trying to say. But, they're over-complicating it if that's the case.

Yeah, I'm going off of the manual on this one. I've honestly only used the undo feature a handful of times. Now that I think about it, perhaps the Delete Unused function simply "flattens" a particular track, and any audio that was recorded over is dumped. At that point, the list of undo points would be lost since the old data is tossed. In any event, it seems like OP got their issue corrected.

Back