got my 488!! and CAVS WIN!!!!

clevodrummer

Tascammer
what a great weekend for this Clevelander. First my 488 showed up from Ebay and it was packed professionaly and looks to be in Perfect shape...right now, im waiting for the manual and rearranging things to be close and at the ready.

i have a bit of experience with the 424, so it should be quite enjoyable. But Im not touching it until the manual shows up. Its not the mkII, its the first 488.

In the meantime, anyone able to throw me a brief description of its operational secrets, and non secrets? Finally I can get to work. Its taken about a year to get my act together and Ive only done a couple of tunes, but now the fun starts.

Also, The Cleveland Cavaliers won the Eastern Conference Championship over the weekend, and I fell down and wept. The last true championship in Clevo was 1964 Browns and I was seven years old. My 8 year old daughter does not understand why Daddy has gone off his rocker. She told me "Dad, why dont you just watch the last two minutes of the game when everything happens?"

Kudos to the Pistons, but sorry to say it looks as though your glory days are in the rear view mirror. They were simply beaten by a better team.

Now onward to San Antonio. Even Charles Barkley was impressed by the Cavs. I loved what he said about Clevo and Detroit: "Theyre both basically the same city, lots of compounds".

GO CAVS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLEVO

It's not much different than the 424, except more channels and tracks. The 488 std won't be as slick in the EQ as the 424mkIII, but it's adequate. It's the same technical stuff. Dbx on, Sync off, record levels near 0vu, (keep it clean) and you're set. The 488 records up to 4 tracks/simul on 4-buss/groups. The 488 std only has 2 preamps, but with a 424mkIII on hand it shouldn't be a problem coming up with mic preamp inputs.

You should be able to get started right away! :eek: ;)

Attachments

• 1--Tascam 488.jpg
    1--Tascam 488.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 59

Hey Cleve congrats on your team!!!! Now I found out long time ago that the type of tape that you use in the 488 is very important. I had started buying TDK SM20 professional tape, it's made for mutitrack machines. It's not that long in play time lentgh and they are IEC 2 high bias. I have some left over, about ten of them, no make that nine I just checked. You can have them if you like, just e- mail me again since that whole thing with the 488 manual fail through, so I will send them to you.

Peace-out

The G-Man

thanks Heather

that 688 is on my list...it is awesome...I have a 424mk3 as well, so with the 488, my options are expanding. I like having the eq midsweeps on the 424 to compliment the 488s lack of them. Man those midsweeps really are sweet.

check out a member "reel person" aka "Davemania", his tascam analog collection will blow your mind. he has a post which includes a pic of most of his gear that is inspiring. check out his covers as well.

thanks for the response especially being a Texan as far as the Cavs and the Spurs. I have never seen a better team than the Spurs. The epitome of "teamwork". We received a lot of really complimenting letters in our Cleveland paper from Spur fans. I personally enjoyed beating the Pistons because we werent expected to. I am sure it will be the Spurs Cavs next year as well. I lived in San Antonio for a while when I was in the Air Force in the late 70s. I miss the sunsets.

thanks,

clevo

Yeah, the NBA games are always a good time, regardless of who wins. The Spurs are definitely on a roll these days, that's for sure! Anyway, I'm aware of Dave's collection, it's awesome. It reminds me of my collection of Apple Macintosh Computers and other Apple items:

Classic
Color Classic
Quadra 660av
Quadra 840av
Quadra 605
Performa 638CD
Performa 6115CD
Performa 5200CD
Power Macintosh 7200/120
Power Macintosh 7600/120
Performa 6400/180
Performa 6400/200
Performa 6500/225
Power Macintosh 9600/300
Motorola StarMax 3000/180
Power Macintosh G3 233
iMac 266
Power Macintosh G3 B&W
eMac 700
PowerBook 100
PowerBook 170
PowerBook Duo 230w/DuoDock
PowerBook 520c
PowerBook 190(2)
PowerBook 190cs
PowerBook 5300cs
PowerBook1400c/166 w/Sonnet G3 333
PowerBook 3400c/180
PowerBook G3 233
PowerBook G3 266
MacBook

Anyway, enjoy your 488, it's a great machine. Me, I just got some new blank cassettes for my 688, so I'm gonna record some new stuff with it later!
Cheers, Heather

That's cool, thanx!

I may sell some stuff off, as yet TBD! :eek: ;)

Recording is awesome! Gear is great! Have fun! :eek: ;)

Back