Getting a studio quality sound on a tascam dp03sd

arosemond

Is it possible to get a studio quality sound on a tascam dp03sd? So far by eqing in audacity ive managed to get it down to a slight hiss, but still a bit noisier than a youtube video

The tascam should be capable of clean recording. However, it will be limited in its ability to fix bad recordings.

Audacity isn't really a daw, it is a sound editor that is best used for editing stuff that is already mixed.

Get reaper for recording and mixing purposes.

The tascam should be capable of clean recording. However, it will be limited in its ability to fix bad recordings.

Audacity isn't really a daw, it is a sound editor that is best used for editing stuff that is already mixed.

Get reaper for recording and mixing purposes.

The recordings are my own songs and will the eq and noise reduction in reaper be better than in audacity?

Yes, they will. With Reaper, you will be able to use hundreds of different VST's to do EQ, noise reduction, compression, etc... In audacity, you are stuck with the ones they have built in.

Some noise

I recently recorded 12 of my own songs on a new DP-03SD using one acoustic 6-string and my single vocal. All were recorded through the right side built-in mic.

After mixdown and mastering there is some hiss - most noticeable in the dead space between (some, not all) songs.

I had the gain cranked on the mic input - it was picking up the sound of my home AC blowing out the room vents. With the AC off, I could have gotten even cleaner results.

For my purposes, this is the next best thing to a decent studio.

Last edited:
"All were recorded through the right side built-in mic."

Pretty good chance you'd hear a big improvement using an external mic, but that opens a can of worms as to what mic to get :)

Back