FW-1084 firewire(?) issue

pikingrin

what is this?
Hello all, I'm having somewhat of a problem with the sync between my 1084 and my comp. I have a crappy e-machines with an AMD Athlon in it, just upgraded the RAM (4 gigs now). I've used this setup with no issues (other than my RAM crapping out) for almost 4 years now and, all of the sudden, within the last couple of weeks, it starts doing this thing where it loses sync. If I have the 1084's control panel open on my desktop, the sync literally comes and goes. It sometimes "fixes itself" if I restart the comp a few times or turn the 1084 on and off a few times but it's getting a bit annoying. The weird part is that the Firewire light on the front panel of the 1084 remains on even when the sync indicator on the desktop is going on and off. To make it even more aggrivating, my headphones/monitors cut out when the sync does. During recording, during playback, it doesn't matter...

Has anyone had this experience or have any insight? Many thanks to anyone who can help!!!

I am thinking there could be a firewire driver issue, but before anything else:

with the 1084 connected, go to the computer control panel / network connections /1394 connection. (This should be indicating that it is in use), double click on it.

It should be sending / receiving information. Click support, click repair.

See if this cures the problem, or what message did you get.

Cheers

Alan.

I am thinking there could be a firewire driver issue, but before anything else:

with the 1084 connected, go to the computer control panel / network connections /1394 connection. (This should be indicating that it is in use), double click on it.

It should be sending / receiving information. Click support, click repair.

See if this cures the problem, or what message did you get.

Cheers

Alan.

You know, now that you mention that... I have tried recently (yesterday) to jack around with the "network connections"... When I go to try and disable the 1394 it does nothing. Whe I double click on it, it does not show anything happening. When I click on "repair" it gives me some popup about how I should "contact the network manager" or some crap, even though the comp is not set up for any kind of network. Is this something that can be remedied with an update download?

Hi,

Disabling the 1394 port maybe the problem. You need to enable it. Click enable then give it a moment to respond. It should then show it as enabled.

You don't have to set up a network as it is only being used as a firewire port. The reason it is asking about networks is that you can set up a network over the firewire port if you wanted too.

Cheers

Alan.

Back