Filesize limitation for uploads?

davidchutka

I'm hoping to upload the Owner's Manual, Service Manual, and Schematics pages for the Tascam 688. When I add the files, it spins for a while as if it is adding them, but then after a few minutes it stops spinning and no files appear on the list.

The Owner's Manual and Schematics are around 50MB each, the Service Manual is about 120MB. Are those too big? I scanned things in at a pretty high resolution so that you could actually read some of the incredibly small text on the schematics and diagrams, but something tells me posting them on places like this won't work. It's also entirely possible I'm just doing things incorrectly.

Any insight or help you may provide would be greatly appreciated.

You have exceeded the maximum file size allowed. For picture file types (JPG, PDF, BMP etc) there is a limit of 9.54MB. For MP3, the max is 94.5MB. You can find that info by going to the manage attachment page, and click on the blue ? in the upper right hand corner. It shows you the acceptable file types and size limits.

For files that size, it's probably preferable to use something like Google Drive or Dropbox to host the file. You get 2 gigs for free with Dropbox, so you can put them up and leave them for a long time to avoid having broken links.

Thanks. I figured that was the case. I was hoping to avoid going the Google Drive / Dropbox route just because I was hoping for something a bit more permanent. I don't use either too regularly, but when I do, they tend to be for larger things and I often have to purge the accounts of anything that isn't necessary for whatever it is I'm trying to transfer. It drives me up a wall when I find a link to a site from several years ago, and the link is a dead Dropbox link.

I was worried the file sizes would be too large. I was able to significantly reduce them in size, but they still aren't small at 50-120Mb each.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to come up with another plan and link to them on here once I figure it out.

I was worried the file sizes would be too large. I was able to significantly reduce them in size, but they still aren't small at 50-120Mb each.
Rough guess would put a 90MB 256kbps MP3 at about half an hour. Out of curiosity, what are you trying to upload??

I have three PDFs I was hoping to share with the world. I've got the Tascam 688 Owner's Manual, Service Manual, and all of the schematics.

I've found the Owners Manual online, but the quality is rather poor. These are all 600dpi scans that have been cleaned up quite a bit.

I may just use my personal site and can just link to them on here and the TascamForums.com forums.

Back