External Mixer with 788

Jim Pratt

Would like to use my new mixing console with the Tascam 788 but I guess there is a problem. While there are six analog inputs to the 788 it is an issue in that four of the inputs have a gain stage (the aux input I assume is just unity gain buffered). SO there is a lot of talk about losing quality with the Mic pre's of the board stacked with the preamps of the 788 (even with the gain set to line). How are others dealing with this? .

On another note, being able to do the mixdown with the board is also cumbersome since you have to play a few games to get the six analog outputs to represent the six track (four of them pre-fader, the last two - stereo are post fader ).

I realize that the ideal solution is to get a different HD recorder like some of the higher end tascams, but like everyone else, I am a little straped for cash.

So how is anyone else dealing with this at this point.

I too have the 788. I also have a Mackie CFX-20 for a mixing console. I purchased the Tascam 788 to record our band live and also to make great demos. I have found that I DON"T lose any quality due to so called double stacking of the gains. I use my boards 4 sub group outs to 4 of the 788's inputs and channel patch from my insertion points at the board to feed 2 other inputs on the 788. I have made some really good quality recordings doing this way.
Why would you want to send the recorded tracks back to the mixing console? The mixing and editing capabilities are great feature of the 788. I use the auxillary send and returns if I need to add extra processing and it works just fine. I like the potableness of this unit because I can do the tracking at our rehersal studio and then take the unit home for a mix down with out having to lug all our our gear around.
Try it ...you will like it!

Thanks for the response. I guess the reason for returning the recorded tracks to the mixing console is so that I could add some EQ. While I know that 788 has three band EQ, there is just something about EQ in the digital domain that I dont like (or perhaps dont know how to use). It seems like I have to add a great deal of EQ within the 788 in order to hear a difference.

I guess I could use the four sub mixes to the four inputs and save the aux inputs for the Aphex 207 i have for the condenser mike. I kind of wish I had not purchased the 207 as I have yet to get what I would consider to be a quality sound out of that box. But more experimentation is needed I am sure.

Back