Exporting 24-bit tracks from Tascam 2488neo (or Tascam 2488 Mkii)

Ra Bob

HELP! Got a great recording project set up with a great band. Going to spend five days in a renovated castle in Central Europe. Going to track the session onto my new Tascam 2488neo. BUT, one band member needs to take away UNMIXED session tracks on his PC, where he will edit, process and mix... and I will take my tascam 2488neo elsewhere.

So I must get UNMIXED multi-tracks out of the Tascam 2488neo and into his PC in a speedy and efficient manner. And we want it to be 24-bit unmixed tracks.

PROBLEM: I know that you can export a wav stereo file in 16 bit by MIXING a song down first and then sending it out USB 2.0 to a PC. But what about transferring UNMIXED tracks out of Tascam 2488neo and into a PC using the USB 2.0.

I read on these boards who 24-bit can be maintained by transferring the tracks as mono. I need advice on that process and how time consuming it is.

For example, if an unmixed song has 16 individual tracks when UNMIXED, how can I get each individual track out of the Tascam 2488neo and into a PC quickly --- unmixed... so the mixing can be done there. And MOST IMPORTANTLY, can I get those tracks into the PC without going down to 16-bit... keeping it all in 24 bit.

1) Do I have to transfer each track one at a time as a mono file?
2) Do I have to first play each track in real time in order to save each as a 24-bit mono file? Or is it just a process of dragging and dropping?

At the end of the week, I will keep my Tascam 2488neo machine... but the band member will go away to Berlin and do mixing. So is it feasible to get all of the individual tracks UNMIXED out of the Tascam 2488neo and into a PC for further editing.. IN 24 BIT????? Or will it be extremely time consuming?

I expect it works the same way on the the Tascam 2488 mkii. So if anybody has experience on either machine, please shout me out. Many thanks for all tips and hints. I expect my Tascam 2488eo to arrive next week. Trying to get questions answered before it arrives so planning can move forward. THANKS!!!

Last edited:
I already answered this in the other thread, but I'll copy my post here:

Every track in a mono file.

All you have to do is export them to CD...or USB straight into your computer. There's no reason to have to change them to 16bit if you didn't record them in 16 bit to start with. Same goes with the stereo mix. If it's 24 bit, you can export it 24 bit.

Just go to your MENU and select WAVE IN/OUT. From there select either CD EXPORT or USB EXPORT and select the tracks you want to export by highlighting the track(s) you want to export and hitting the insert button to get a check mark beside the track.

When you've selected all the tracks you want to export, hit YES.

Exporting 24-bit from Tascam 2488neo

Thanks Rami, That's what I was hoping for. So I suspect that means that when you export individual tracks like this, they have to be to reassembled from single mono files back into a multi-tracked song... ie, in Protools or other software in the PC?
Also, I expect the answer is NO, but do you know if it is possible to export these 24-bit mono wav files from the Tascam 2488neo straight into another DAW, like the 24-bit version that Yamaha makes similar to the Tascam 2488neo? Or can these mono 24-bit wav files only be transferred via Tascam 2488neo as 24-bit into a PC via USB 2.0?

Thanks Rami, That's what I was hoping for. So I suspect that means that when you export individual tracks like this, they have to be to reassembled from single mono files back into a multi-tracked song... ie, in Protools or other software in the PC?
Also, I expect the answer is NO, but do you know if it is possible to export these 24-bit mono wav files from the Tascam 2488neo straight into another DAW, like the 24-bit version that Yamaha makes similar to the Tascam 2488neo? Or can these mono 24-bit wav files only be transferred via Tascam 2488neo as 24-bit into a PC via USB 2.0?

Hey Bob,

I'm not sure about the second part of your question, but I'm guessing that if the other unit you want to bring it into has a CD drive, you can copy from the TASCAM onto a CD, and then from the CD into the Yamaha.

For the first part of your question: Yes, if you're bringing the tracks into your PC, you need a hosting program, like Reaper for example. When you drop the files into a program like that, they will maintain their timeline and line up auromatically.

I hope this helps.

Also, I expect the answer is NO, but do you know if it is possible to export these 24-bit mono wav files from the Tascam 2488neo straight into another DAW, like the 24-bit version that Yamaha makes similar to the Tascam 2488neo?
You can export the files into any setup that can handle importing wave files via USB 2.0.

I already answered this in the other thread, but I'll copy my post here:

Every track in a mono file.

All you have to do is export them to CD...or USB straight into your computer. There's no reason to have to change them to 16bit if you didn't record them in 16 bit to start with. Same goes with the stereo mix. If it's 24 bit, you can export it 24 bit.

Just go to your MENU and select WAVE IN/OUT. From there select either CD EXPORT or USB EXPORT and select the tracks you want to export by highlighting the track(s) you want to export and hitting the insert button to get a check mark beside the track.

When you've selected all the tracks you want to export, hit YES.

I didn't know it was possible to do a stereo mix in 24 bit with a 2488....is this done in pre-master mode?

I didn't know it was possible to do a stereo mix in 24 bit with a 2488....is this done in pre-master mode?

Yes sir. If you selected 24 bit when you created the song, you can stay in 24 bit all the way through, including the Pre-Master.

Yes sir. If you selected 24 bit when you created the song, you can stay in 24 bit all the way through, including the Pre-Master.

....thank you....my 2488 mkll is new to me (coming from a dp01-fxcd). I had assumed that the bit depth went to 16 during mastering.....I now notice the "24" in the upper right corner of the pre-master screen....much to learn about this machine....

Back