endless recording on the DP-004

ldecola

i use the TASCAM DP-004 to record personal practice sessions: i listen, play along, record new tracks. when i'm done with an exercise i'll record over the old tracks. but after a dozen (or so) sessions the card fills up and i have to delete songs, which:
1. is a nuisance (why can't i just record endlessly over existing tracks, like on a tape recorder?), and
2. resets the inputs & assignments (don't know why this should happen, and neither does Tascam)...
thanks for any help!

Lee De Cola.

hello,
I've not needed to record in this fashion but I think you can continuously record over the tracks without losing card time within one song. Once you've created a new song you've added additional memory to the card. Since there is an undo function, it is saving your past takes somewhere but you can always just clean the tracks rather than erase the song. It's under the menu, track, then the clean or clear option. you can select individual tracks or all at once and is a bit quicker than erasing the song. Once cleared the tracks you lose any previous undo options.
If it really is to much trouble to erase or clean out your tracks, get a 32 gig card and you'll have a lot longer until you need to clean it up. I remember recording on an old tape porta studio and I remember the quality getting worse and worse with each take until you could hear the last takes under the new ones. Pressing a few buttons and waiting maybe a minute or two seems like a great trade off to me.
Good luck!

thanks, hooksong, i'll try 'cleaning tracks' rather than 'erasing songs...

card > file > song > track is certainly more complicated than what we were used to with tape (even more hierarchical than computer files); but then sound IS deep!

i wonder if TASCAM explains all this somewhere.

and getting a bigger card (than the 1GB i have) certainly makes sens.

Lee De Cola.

Back