Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DR40 vs DP008-ex

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I ordered a DR40 last night. I decided that the ability to record more than 2 tracks at once was crucial for what I want to do. I will try to remember to get back on here after I have spent some time with it and post a review. I had also been considering the DR44WL, but I got to check one out in person, and the shock mounts that hold the mics seemed to be made of material I wouldn't trust to hold up long term. Also, while some people tout the high end detail with the DR44, the highs seemed harsh to me, and the low end lacking a bit.
    www.soundcloud.com/rewindtn
    [url]www.twitter.com/lyrics2cry2[url]

Thanks
    Good luck with it!
    You'll never progress musically until you stop thinking like a musician and start thinking like a producer.

Thanks
    Quick update. I ended up returning the DR40. I wanted to use the built in mics to record acoustic guitar in stereo while simultaneously recording vocals with my own external mic and preamp. The vocal sounded great this way, but I could not get a sound I was happy with recording the acoustic with the built in mics. Anything beyond basic mixing is a pain on this, so I decided it wasn't right for my purposes. DP008ex should arrive today, so I'll post my thoughts on that when I get a chance.

Thanks
    I had a few hours with the DP008ex last night. So far, I'm a fan. I tested out the built in mics, and I tested out using my own mics and preamps going into the unit. The latter definitely sounded better. I will post a sound clip when I get a chance. Export didn't take too long either. My biggest beef is that when using the built in mics, mic a had much less gain than mic b. I don't know if this is just a defect in my unit. I may consider exchanging it for another just for that.

Thanks
    OK, here is a song I made with the DP008ex last night.

All tracks were recorded with a Behringer B1 running through a SP VTB-1, TC M350, and FMR RNC. All reverb is from the M350. I used the auto mastering on the DP008ex (on normal setting) and then normalized the track before exporting. No processing was done on the computer. Just an upload to Soundcloud.

Thanks
    Your recording sounds great!

I have a DP008 (not ex) and I prefer it to the computer nowadays. There's no noisy fan or time spent waiting for a boot.

The SD formats to FAT16 and writes in wav format, so both my Mac and my PC can read it automatically. The piezos onboard are good enough for a demo. I use a piezo and a separate condenser so I get a nice stereo effect that really makes my acoustic come to life on the recording. Signal to noise is very good imho, even with the piezos on high gain.

Like another poster said though, exporting takes a very long time. First you record to master in real time (so a 3-minute song takes 3 minutes), then you export to wav, which can take 5-10 minutes for a 3-minute song. But it's a great unit imho. Glad you're enjoying yours.

Thanks
    Glad you dug it easlern. I sent mine back in for an exchange, and I am really looking forward to getting the replacement. I have a lot of experience tracking, editing, and mixing on the computer, but I really like the workflow and creativity I get from listening to the music instead of looking at waveforms.

Thanks
    Just a quick follow up to say I received the replacement unit, and it does not have the same issue.

Thanks
    I just picked up a DR44wl the other day and am having fun playing with it. Anyone have a clue whether or not you can run a regular 1/8" cable out of the line out into a GoPro (with its ripoff $20 USB to 1/8" adapter), or do you need an attenuator cable? The GoPro has no mic input level control (Hero 4 Silver). I don't have any 1/8" cables, so I wanted to get some feedback before buying one or the other.

Thanks

dp-008ex stupid power problem freakin solved

Quote Originally Posted by bongolation View Post
    I picked up a DP-008EX on a one-day sale for $99 a year or two back for fairly similar reasons.

I've only used it once or twice since then.

The conversion process was a nightmare that took a HUGE amount of time, something like fifteen minutes to convert a three-minute piece. I was dumbfounded...but it appears that the SD card I got for it now tests defective -- or else the unit damaged it when it reformatted and partitioned it (why?) to their screwy proprietary format. I'm totally unclear on this, but that part of it is very unintuitive and awkward, plus I've read that it will only take Class 4 SD cards (and good luck finding them!). I don't know if this claim is true, but I don't think it makes any sense, if I correctly understand flash media.

I may be making this harder than it is, but I've never been able to get past this and I've never found an active support forum for these devices where I could get competent advice and information. I've never found anyone else with one of these.

Another downside is that (like most Tascam portable gear) the thing eats batteries like a furnace and incredibly, for a $400 MSRP unit, doesn't come with an AC adapter.

The aftermarket adapter I got for it has a really short cable and is therefore a pain to use.

Aside from this, though, the unit is a very nice and well-conceived product with good sound quality and decent microphones as well as usable effects. It's complex, though, with a substantial learning curve.

In the end, I found it failed to be the easy and convenient alternative to working in the studio I had hoped it would be.
    when i got my first one, i was mad about the batterys and no ac adapter... so i said screw this, i opened it up and soldered a long usb cord to the battery connectors, i dont give a shit about no warranty, closed it up.. now i just plug it into any good phone charger bam! solved! i love dp008ex nothing else bothers me about some of you are making shit harder than it is....

Thread Information