DP24SD Memory Card

WindShear

This DP24SD recorder has been out for 5 years>>>
These SD cards have been in some kind of a continual metamorphosis>>>
I ordered a SanDisk - Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I
The best I could find on the official list
Is this old technology or the max the DP24SD can handel

All I can tell you with some certainty is that it is important to use an approved card. They have been tested for operational stability. Once I found a good, stable one - I bought a couple more to have as backups.

Also - be sure you running the latest firmware for your machine - and do a full format of your SD card after upgrading to the latest firmware.

Interesting. Is the DP24SD a finicky machine? I've got a Zoom R24 and I've used all manner of SD cards and never had an issue. Most of them are Class10 rated. I've got everything from 4GB to 32GB.

I think it could be said somewhat fairly that the DP-24/32(SD) series machines can be finicky about SD cards. Some of them work fine. Others do not. But this can be said of digital cameras and other hardware that use SD cards.

What is clear though... is that Tascam have continued to roll out new firmware versions that have significantly improved operational stability. But still - there is an approved SD card list (available at the Tascam website(s).)

FWIW - I have not had a freeze or error in over 4 years. And I typically use 10-15 (at least) tracks with shit tons of editing (the kind of usage that can test processors and SD card stability).

I don't know>>> I've only had this thing 2 weeks>>> That's why I'm asking>>>
I ordered a SanDisk - Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I
It's supposed to be the top of the line>>>I hope

I think you're good to go, sir. This exact card is *known* by many users to be probably the best:

Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Card (SDSDXXG-032G-GN4IN): Computers & Accessories

One more time: make sure you have the latest firmware installed. THEN run a full format of the new card.

I own a couple of the ones mentioned above - but this is the one I've been using for *years*. No issues whatsoever:

Amazon.com: Lexar Platinum II 300x SDHC 32GB UHS-I/U1 (Up to 45MB/s Read) Flash Memory Card - LSD32GBBNL300: Computers & Accessories

I think the last batch I bought were Sandisk 32GB Ultras. I bought a 5 pack. At about $6 a pop, that's like the cheapest reel of tape you could ever buy. Use it one time, dump it to the computer and file it away in an envelope for archival purposes.

I gave up on trying to dump SD cards to hard drives so they could be reused, unless its just me screwing around with testing stuff or working on a song.

What I have done - now repeatedly with the same card - is to use it for 1, 2, or maybe 3 songs. Move all that song data to my computer (or other storage device), reformat the card.... and start all over. After several years - still no issues. The moment I have a problem - I'll switch out the card to one of the several backups I have - and retire that one.

PorterhouseMusic my friend I am going to do exactly that>>> This thing came with a 4Gig Mini Sdcard with the 10x>>> Im not going to start with 15min recording time>>> Im waiting on the 32Gb mentioned above>>> I have been learning the mechanics of this unit best I can before I start the recording process>>> I don't want to be pulling out the manual while i'm trying to get an idea tracked and lose the the groove however feeble it may be

I mentioned this before - if you want to get a fast, solid grasp on this machine.... while your waiting for your other card to show up - watch this free video series. It is a *powerful* resource. Understanding the functions from a signal flow block diagram perspective can transform your recording prowess almost overnight. You don't even have to watch all of these - but the first 5-8 are really important:

YouTube - Phil Tipping DP-24/32(SD) tutorial series

Also - look through the sticky threads (all shaded in blue) at the top of this forum. They are packed full of technical information and recording tips and how-to's. All specific to your recorder. A really GREAT resource!

2488 and DP-24/32 Digital Portastudios | TASCAM Forums

Porterhouse Music THANK YOU!! I have been working with my DP-24SD for the last three years, lacking a certain understanding about how to live with it without periodically calling it all sorts of unprintable names. I love it and all the possibilities it offers me but I have often seen it as a very neurotic electronic spoiled child. So many freezes and so much lost work, and all this certainly because of inadequate SD cards! (and outdated firmware) Today I downloaded the most recent firmware update, I'm going to watch the video series you have suggested and follow the good idea of moving the musical data and then reformatting the good SD card. And all this because of your discussion with WindShear and TalismanRich on HomeRecording.com. Fantastic! And, thank you again :-)

Oh good. Glad you came across that post. You're experience will improve dramatically. Mine did. I *never* have issues now that I'm hip to some "best practices".

I had a pretty good start after buying my DP 5 years ago. But after finding the Tipping tutorials - that changed everything in terms of getting a strong understanding of what this recorder is capable of. After benefitting from those videos - many of us at the Tascam forum have sent Phil some appreciation $$ for his efforts. It's not mandatory and Phil is not affiliated with Tascam in any way. He just did this to help folks - so if you're in a position to do so you may want to consider sending him a little something that you're comfortable with. He has also put together a really great and useful how-to guide that is available for purchase. Phil is a friendly dude and active member at the Tascam forum.

Back