DP24SD Dynamics Input Insert Compressor Setting

WindShear

The DP24SD Dynamics Input Insert Compressor is one of the many features why I bought this unit>>>
So....When I turn the Compressor on it has a Default Setting:
Threshold -12>>> Ratio 1.5:1>>> Attack 100ms>>> Release 200ms>>> Gain 4db>>>
Does that have any Affect on the Signal as a minimum place to start or do you have to jack something up?

Last edited:
I am no compression expert, but I know this:

As with any compressor....

Threshhold describes the level at which the audio (coming in to the compressor) will be affected - or compressed. If you look at the right side of the meter display you will see:

When the threshold is set to -12.... any audio signal exceeding (jumping above) that is going to be affected by the compressor.

Ratio describes the amount of compression that is applied to whatever audio is surpassing the threshold level. The higher the Ratio - the more aggressive the compression. Google "compression ratio" in order to get a better explanation of how that works.

Attack describes the speed at which the compressor reacts to the incoming signal once it passes the threshold. A slower attack is literally that.... there is a slight bit of time that passes before the compression grabs the signal coming through it. Think of a snare drum hit... with a slow attack - the very beginning of that snare hit will not be affected. Depending on how you've got it set - a slight amount of that snare hit will go right on through without being compressed. We're talking milliseconds here - which happen to be the adjustment units.

The Release is the same idea - but this adjustment (also in milliseconds) sets how long the compressor holds the signal before letting it go uncompressed.

Gain (or "makeup gain" as it's often called): Often - depending on the above settings - and usually with more aggressive settings - a compressor will clamp down on the signal significantly.... literally lowering the overall signal level. The gain knob is there to compensate for the lowering effect - so you can bring it back up to where it was (or whatever you choose) before it leaves the compressor.

Again - I'm no expert and am really still a child as it relates to applying compression in a recording and mix context. But I do think that the above explanations are pretty solid.

Hope this helps.

So - to answer your question more specifically - the 1.5 to 1 ratio setting is pretty low - but it does have some effect.

That compression/ratio setting is only going to minimally affect the signal if the signal jumps up above -12dB.

The other settings (attack and release) are a matter of taste and application.

Last edited:
Thanx for your reply I'll use the default settings it will be something more than I was using on the DP-02CF which was none
Here is a recording I made with (Dp-02CF) no compressor or anything that I used to sell the guitar in the video >>>today as a matter of fact
YouTube

---------- Update ----------

Thanx for your reply I'll use the default settings it will be something more than I was using on the DP-02CF which was none
Here is a recording I made with (Dp-02CF) no compressor or anything that I used to sell the guitar in the video >>>today as a matter of fact
YouTube

Back