DP008Ex using an external mic

maxman65

Hi. I've tried a lot of vocals using the internal mics .A single mic sounds too thin and both mics are muddy and need to be panned hard left and right onto 2 tracks where the vocal is no longer truly central . I'm looking at a rode nt1a but concerned a machine like this mat not provide sufficient gain or clarity . Any ideas ? Thanks

Last edited:
It shouldn't be a problem with the NT1a to get clear recordings and the DP008EX should have enough gain for the typical condenser mic. More importantly will be the room you record in and if the sound will bounce around creating slight echoes in the recordings. This can be minimized with 'room treatment' (a search of the forum should get you some information about this). You'll want a pop filter as well in front of the mic to reduce 'plosives'.

How did you happen to pick the NT1a? Have you tried one out? Some folks like the mic, some don't. It may work well with your voice, or not.

Hi. Yes I've just been looking again at the rode. A common denominator on comments seems to be a touch bright . Another one I've just recently looked at was the at2035 which appears to be less brittle at the top end according to comments. As long as what is described as slightly vintage in the mid end doesn't translate as muddy for a voice which isn't altogether crystal anyway that could be an option . Also I figured maybe to have the external mic picking up some on the acoustic guitar and the internal mic picking up the guitar .In other words I'm looking to capture a performance "live" with vocal and guitar rather than over dubbing separately

I vowed not to get too involved with escalating on equipment but I guess the core of these compositions will be vocal and acoustic . I have to attempt to get those as solid as possible then hang a few other things over them . 8 track is plenty when you consider what was available 40 years ago and it worked for them so I defiantly don't want complication down that avenue .

This comment over several threads lately about the NT1 being bright is nonsense, if the sound you get is too bright then trim a little top end off, I would rather have a bit bright then too dull and have to try to add top. There are also many different versions of the NT1, the new black release is actually a more mellow sounding NT1.

Alan.

Yes I was just reading what was in their description . Apparently NT1 has a different /new capsule and is described as smooth at the top end. It doesn't help when these manufacturers jerk around with near identical model numbers then revert back to the same part number for a model which is now I presume obsolete . Se2200 is even worse for that kind of riddle part number game .I would probably have to avoid buying an Se2200 just to avoid the mind warping torment involved in getting to core of their part numbering riddle . That's ones is out on that basis alone . Designed to confuse the novice I guess. They succeed admirably.

Last edited:
I have the gray NT1 which was the version prior to the recent black version. No complaints on the gray version. I have heard the new black version was an improvement.

Alan, what threads have you noted as the NT1 being bright? Most of what I've seen about 'bright' or even harsh is in regards to the NT1a and not the NT1 and mostly from another forum.

If anyone gets to finally uncode what a Se2200 ii c is in relation to their other myriad of se2200 mind games you'll find that it's discontinued anyway . It's a wonderful form of mind torture

Yes I figured that might have been decent . I presume their non" c" (ie cardiod )varieties are multi pattern . The answer I believe is obviously yes ................. and no

I have the gray NT1 which was the version prior to the recent black version. No complaints on the gray version. I have heard the new black version was an improvement.

Alan, what threads have you noted as the NT1 being bright? Most of what I've seen about 'bright' or even harsh is in regards to the NT1a and not the NT1 and mostly from another forum.

It's more comments like "I have heard that the NT1a sounds harsh" I think thay are reading comments from anouther web site that we know does not like anything LOL, and yes it was about the NT1a. It was mentioned here. again, I was just saying the comment pops up now and then.

I actually own 2 x NT1 mics but the rare 1st editions. Also own a NT2 first edition. Love these things.

NT1_1.jpg

Yes I can appreciate that he nt1 (recent black version )and the nt1a have different sound characteristics . I'm willing to accept that the nt1 is a strong contender now for when I purchase a mic which I hope will be an all round sort of mic for good vocals and acoustic guitar. I do also strongly fancy the Lewitt 440 pure and I'd be interested to hear of anyone who's played with both these mics and can comment on their relative merits paticularly with respect to vocal or acoustic guitar applications .

I've used a Shure 'pencil' condenser with a DP008ex and it works fine. There is plenty headroom. I've also used a Red5 Audio large diaphragm condenser. Again, works fine.

I prefer the single mic approach and to capture voice and instrument together and place the mic at head height to avoid the instrument dominating. To get stereo, I'll place two mics in XY configuration and stand back a bit. I do sometimes overdub extra accompaniment but 8 tracks is well enough for what I do which is essentially acoustic.

I'm not a wannabe pro just an enthusiastic hobby musician making recordings for my own pleasure to put on YouTube etc.

Are you using the phantom power alone or do you have some kind of preamp . Do you find external mics provide a much improved sound

When I connect the Rode NT1-A to the DP-008EX and set it to Phantom power, the Tascam drops dead. I have to restart it. Any idea why that is?

When I connect the Rode NT1-A to the DP-008EX and set it to Phantom power, the Tascam drops dead. I have to restart it. Any idea why that is?

If it 'drops dead' while on batteries, try using the recommended Tascam adapter or its equivalent (be sure the DC amps it can supply are equal or greater than the Tascam). I have seen specs for the NT1-a that it draws 5.7ma at 48v phantom. This is almost twice as to what some more typical condenser mics draw (2.4-3.2 ma). It may well be that batteries can't supply what the mic needs and it may be a bit of a struggle even with the adapter. I had a USB bus powered interface that couldn't power some of my mics.

Ok, that makes it -the- very probable cause. I hadn't even tried it on batteries. Doing so made it work, for as long as there was some electron flow. I'll buy me a more powerful adapter. Thanks for solving this.

Last edited:
Back