DP008ex- feedback welcome re-EQ/Comp

smg

Just started messing around w/this and would appreciate any tips/ insight in terms of what you can do with it ..

.i.e.setting the EQ low/ high frequency #'s-

is this "interpreted " by the unit in terms of a wide Q i.e.the surrounding frequencies are also affected or in terms of a boost/cut at the specific # itself i.e.narrow Q.... ?

Been doing a lot of research online about boosting/cutting different areas,amt of dB,Q, high-pass filter/shelf effects etc and I'm wondering how much of these kind of EQ techniques I'll be able to simulate w/the given settings...

Also in terms of the Compressor settings which seem to allow for more adjustment than the EQ and also affect frequency ranges like EQ does...any ideas from people who have worked w/this appreciated....

Last edited:
I have one of these and I'm very much an amateur . Personally I don't have reason to believe yet in eq because I think so much more can be achieved by so many other factors.namely the neutrality of the environment. The quality of the source instrument . The (external ) mic placement in relation to acoustic sources . Eq may have some relevance to professionals but personally i think it's a corrective tool anyway . Eg. If an acoustic guitar is a well balanced instrument in a neutral environment with optimal mic placement (the right type of mic and relatively uncoloured ) i don't perceive a value in eq. I guess people would comment that various other elements (instruments ) could start conflicting in a mix at various frequencies but even then I'd consider other factors

Last edited:
My DP-03SD's EQ setup is nearly identical, just the screen configuration being slightly different.

Narrow - You select the specific Hi / Lo freq's and boost or cut. It's very effective.

I recorded one acoustic 6-string, then made two clones. I left the the first as is. On the second, I boosted the Hi EQ and cut the Lo EQ. On the third, I cut the Hi and boosted the Lo. Then I blended them into a mix. I used the first untouched track at 0dB on the mixer fader, then I added the second in at around the third line (track faders not numbered), and then the third was added at just barely above the first line - nearly inaudible.

This was just an experiment, so I just EQ'd by ear and didn't write down the settings - but it sounded pretty good after going through the Mastering phase.

I can't say on the compression as I've only used the default settings in the Mix/Master phase. Page 82 of your manual should contain a complete listing of all your compressor parameter settings, along with a library of presets you can dial up.

Back