DP series mastering multiband compressor

smg

I started a thread over in the Mastering forum here last week that got into this a little-

The DP series of digital recorders all have the same MBC type w/presets w/adjustable parameters-but only for threshold/ratio/and level(make-up gain)....having worked w/them a little I've noticed that a given combination of settings for three bands used w/one preset doesn't sound the same when used w/another preset...I'm thinking this is due to the built-in nonadjustable parameter differences from preset to preset -crossover(where each band starts/ends),attack/release,knee...

I'm wondering if other DP series users have used the mastering MBC presets (especially in terms of adjusting the parameters) and if so what kind of underlying approach is used in terms of this type of MBC which doesn't allow for metering to establish specific dB for the input level/amount sound crosses the threshold as well as settings for attack/release....

What I'd like is info from people who are familiar w/the DP series MBC as well as other more sophisticated types and can contrast the approach used w/each....

Back