digital output from the Tascam 488 MkII

sablya

Hi,

I have a Tascam 488, and I've put together some songs that I want to burn to a CD. Is it possible to do this? I've never even mixed anything down before, so I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks!

Jim

It's an analog deck. It doesn't have digital outputs.

You need an AD (analog to digital) converter. AD converters are: (i) built into just about all standalone CD burners, (ii) built into most soundcards, (iii) available as standalone units that just do that and nothing else.

I have a 488 Mk II and do just what your saying....

In a nut shell, I connect the outs on the 488 to the mic input on my laptop. I capture the tunes into a program called Ntrack (great program and real cheap-you can download it and start now). Then you can add some mastering effects to sweeten it up a bit. This works well for the quick and dirty method. I haven't been able to figure out how to get all 8 tracks out at once so I only do the entire mix to a single stereo track on the laptop.

You could always use a component style cd burner too....

Hope this helps

JAM

tasmcam to laptop

Hi JAM,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded n-track and I'll try it out
tonight.

One question:

Since you can only send one track at a time, is it hard to sync the tracks once you get them in n-track?

Thanks again,
Jim

JimiAlan said:
I have a 488 Mk II and do just what your saying....

In a nut shell, I connect the outs on the 488 to the mic input on my laptop. I capture the tunes into a program called Ntrack (great program and real cheap-you can download it and start now). JAM

That would be damn near impossible.....Although nTrack will allow you to move the waveforms, It would be tough to do. I only use it to sort of master a stereo mix.....The best way to do what your asking is to get an adapter (high end sound card) that has at least 8 inputs (M-Audio has a couple of low budget solutions). Then you can send all the tracks out from the 488 to single tracks on the PC. Now, I have never tried to do this. As I said, I only use it to mixdown the entire mix.....sort of like mixing to cassette. I did find an article (actually on this website!!) that tells you how. Here's the link: http://www.homerecording.com/tas488review.html
It's buried in there somewhere.....
This is one of the big reasons I moved to the 688.....

Hope this helps!!

Jimi

Line out of the Tascam 488 into the Line-In jacks in your PC soundcard. You can then record it directly onto sound recorder if you configure it right. You have to mix it as it records though unless you get a special program.

Back