Did we all see the new Tascam Model 24 (16) ?

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
It looks highly functional, all-in-one, but for some reason they don't call it Portastudio.
Probably just market positioning to keep in on the Pro side of things.
Looks like a Portastudio to me! @@

Attachments

• Tascam Model 24.png
    Tascam Model 24.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
It's truly not a portastudio. Not at all like the DP-24/32(SD) models. It's much closer to a live mixer that can capture - and/or a control surface than it is a portastudio. ;)

Ok, I get that it can record, but can't overdub in sync-track mode. A key difference from a Portastudio.

According to Tascam, it works just like a Portastudio.

"At the heart of the Model 24 is the legendary TASCAM Portastudio multi-track recording engine. Delivering quality and reliability as only TASCAM can, the Model 24 enables you to record and play back any combination of 24 tracks of digital audio as well as perform overdubs and punch-ins quickly and easily.

Record every live gig you play, build your songs track by track, or play along to pre-recorded backing tracks and record the final performance. The Model 24 is designed to work the way you work, with no delays, no limitations and no compromises.
"

What you don't get are the same effects that come with the DP24 and 32. The Model 24 has several reverbs, chorus and delay. There are no compressors, or guitar effects. For its intended purpose, that shouldn't be an issue. Its designed more as a live mixer than a self contained studio. Reverb is almost mandatory for a live setting, but you would want the recorded track to be dry, so that effects can be added later.

I wish such a thing existed back in 1969. People today have so much better access to recording equipment at relative bargain prices.

I had missed that in a quick overview. It looks like a nice machine. 24-simul recording is a big boost over previous Porta's. But I guess it is a big Portastudio, after all.

I had the Model 16 ordered and then after reading more about it I canceled it and got the DP24SD
The Model 16 is just tomuch Machine for me it is perfect for Live recordings because all of the controls are readily accessible instead of diving into the Menu'
It is a Beauty!!!

Back