Did TASCAM ever make a 3.75/7.5 ips reel to reel 4-track deck?

Vito

Does anyone know whether TASCAM ever made a 1/4-inch 4-track reel-to-reel deck that played/recorded tapes at 3.75 ips and 7.5 ips?

I know TEAC made at least two: the A-2340 and the earlier TCA-43 (which was a three-piece unit that comprised a transport and two separate RA-41 Recording Amplifiers). I'm not asking about those. What I'm asking is whether there were any similar machines made under the TASCAM name.

Thanks!

Yes, It was the A2340S or SX models. Some models were quad unit but did not have sync which mean musicians could not multitrack on them

SkywaveTDR:

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, since I posted this question, I’ve found the answer…well, at least one answer.

First, TEAC manufactured the A-2340SX, and like the A-2340/R, it does have sync. Apparently, it was a later model than the A2340/R. It differed from the earlier models in that the “Fast-Pause-Play” mechanical switch was eliminated and the transport controls were all solenoid controlled. I know for certain because I just bought one:

s-l1600.jpg

You might be correct that the same machine was sold under the Tascam name. However, if that’s true, it wasn’t the only one. Tascam also made the Model 22-4L (3.75 ips/7.5 ips), a low-speed version of the Tascam 22-4 (7.5 ips/15 ips). Both versions of the 22-4 were made for up to 7” reels. The Tascam Model 34 was made to accommodate up to 10” reels.

For the record, the reason I originally posted my question was because I needed to find a 4-track that accommodates 3.75 ips. (I have ~4,000 hours of 7” reels to digitize; all of which were recorded at 3.75 ips.) The TEAC A-2340SX I bought has been well-maintained, and it should perform well.

Nevertheless, I would have loved to find a Tascam Model 22-4L. Apart from the fact that it’s newer (and therefore is likely to have less wear), it appears to be a much more heavy-duty machine than the TEAC A-2340SX . I say “appears” because I have no direct experience with the 22-4L, but I suspect it’s an exceedingly well-made machine. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I found one.

Thanks again!

Back