Channel 1 not as strong

statecap

Just recently I have noticed that channel one on 428 mkIII is not as strong as the other three.
Whatever I record on 1 is not as powerful as 2,3 & 4
It even sounds a bit rough at times as if the tape may be defective. However it does not make that particular noise on the others.
I have to record on a higher level than the others too !

Any suggestions?? Answers ?? Comments ??

Get ready for a repair bill!

Next week Im sending out my multitrack to have the mic/line preamp replaced. I accidentally left the phantom on over a period of three months while using the unbalanced input on channel 2...it got weaker, and weaker and weaker until....it doesn't even work now. I blew the preamp. Cost....$20 estimate plus 4 to 6 weeks without the recorder...

I hope this isn't your case...

Peace,
Dennis

statecap -

I have the same problem with my Fostex M-80,
the 8th channel record at the lowest level !

If (or when) you got the diagnosis, please post or mail me.

Thanks !

Dennis -
to make sure that my case is similiar to yours -
when you connect a signal into the defected channel -
does it show you the correct levels ? or is the preamp not working at all and so it doens't even show you (on the bar) that the signal is there ?

gilwe@hotmail.com

First, make sure the head is 100% clean,...

by giving it a little scrub-action, with an alcohol soaked swab. Also clean the capstan,... that little spinning metal shaft-thingy.

Next, verify it's not the tape itself. Try a new, high quality, brand name, type II tape,... and I don't mean "Radio Shack" brand.

After these simple verifications of the most common 'no-brainers', it may be time to have a calibration done, by Tascam Service, or a Tascam-authorized service center.

Sometimes the analog record-repro circuits may drift out of spec, which is basically normal over time, but a proper calibration should clean up any discrepancies in levels.

I wasn't so lucky....

My Tascam repair center informed me that one of the small wires connected to the back of the playing head was coming loose.
It will be re-soldered for a cost of 30.00.

Still....a good deal if you ask me!

Back