can you sync 2 portastudios?

Awww come on guys. I'm serious. SOmeone has to know if this is even possible.

If I put a track of SMPTE on track four of two different four tracks, what else would I need to sync them for a total of 6 tracks?

Help!!

not sure if you can sync two 4 tracks this way. i used to sync tracks on two reel to reels using my thumb as a damper aginst the reel of one deck slowing it down to sync with the other deck while i was recording both out puts to a cassette deck.

what im trying to say is try it!! what do ya got to lose.

jimimac

I don't know how to sync the tracks, but you could try just bouncing four tracks from one to one or two (or three)tracks and then record on the empty tracks. Like doing an external bounce.

The simple answer is no.

You can record a sync track on any multitracker quite easily. Just record the SMPTE or FSK (midi sync) tones on a track from the output of a time-converter 'black box.'

Actually syncing them is much more difficult. The decks themselves must support something called chase-lock, where the [servo] motors running the actual tape reels will instantaneously adjust their speed to keep up with the 'master' unit. As far as I know, no portastudios do chaselock. It would make them much too expensive.

Of course, they can be used as the chaselock master. But you still have to have something else that chases TO it.

D.

Back