Can I connect my mic to a pre-amp then to my Tascam 414 MKII ??

xBodix

How do i use a mic preamp with my tascam 414 mkII....or can i?

i know the preamp sends a stronger signal and it will make my quality better, but how do i connect it??

--------------
and also...will XLR gold mic cables take away a lot of the hiss and feedback when i record on the tascam??

please help...thank you

Yo Bo:

First of all, good cables, which is a hotly debated item on this site, CAN improve the quality of sound. I suggest you research and investigate and make choices.

As to connecting your mic to a mic preamp and then into your recorder, I don't know why you can't.

There is a thing like phantom power if your are using a mic that needs phantom power. Most mic pre amps supply phantom power.

So, if you pre amp supplies phantom power, DON'T turn on phantom power in your recorder if it has a PP switch.

Most mic pres give you an XLR in/out and 1/4 inch in/out. So, you can experiment to see what gives you the best quality sound.

Hope this helps you.
Green Hornet

:D :D :p :p :p :cool:

thanks....

one more thing i was wondering

i record on the TASCAM 414 MKII....w/ a Cobalt Co7 Mic..and it leaves a hiss and noise after i record....what will fix this problem most effectively...

1) cables
2) new mic
3) mic pre amp

??? which one?

xBodix,

I've used a 2 channel Amphex 107 preamp directly into my 414 for not only tape recording in the field, but also as a line into my soundcard when recording at home and have had no problems whatsoever. The money you spend on a good preamp will be money well spent.

However, Hornet is dead on about cables. It's a lot easier to get good quality cables than it is to try to clean up tape noise. Its an issue I need to address myself, yet just never seem to deal with. ;)

Yo Bri715:

I recently got a Zaolla mic cable. I used it for a session last week for the first time--it is as quiet as Count Dracula's house at high noon. But, they are expensive. Also have some medium priced Monster mic cables -- very good. And, I have one Monster 1/4 cable to run from my synth. Also good.

Usually a couple of good cables will get you where you want to go.

Happy May Day
Green Hornet:D :cool: :p :p

pick yourself up a shure sm57 these never go astray anything from 35 to 79 dollars they can be had for depending upon condition these micsnever goout of style

I have a 414MKII and get very good vocal recordings with a SM58 with a foam windscreen and plug it right into the XLR input. I get right on the mic and back off a inch or two as needed. some sort of compression don't hurt either, but I don't use any, as I back off when I feel I need to and get right on the foam otherwise.
Don't skimp on cords. Add effects at mixdown the next day or so, so's you don't have ear fatigue.If your computer is on and nereby, turn the monitor off, as it will interfere with mic's or guitar PU's.
forgot your other questions, but I hope this might help.
bubinski

Back