8-track mixer -> 8-track recorder

C. Lewis

This is sort of a newbie question crossbred with a Tascam question. I'm mixing 8 tracks through an M-208 8 channel mixer into a TSR-8. The M-208 has buss assign buttons for "1-2" and "3-4," which when selected allow you to then pan to left (1 or 3) or right (2 or 4). However, I can't figure out how to assign signal to exit the mixer via the output jacks for channels 5-8. Was the mixer intended to only send via 1-4 and then mix back from the recorder on all 8 channels? Do I have to repatch my snakes from 1-4 to 5-8 to avoid bouncing onto 5-8? Aaarg. Yes, I've consulted the manual. When the manual doesn't address my problems, I...
(1) Bang head on wall
(2) Think I'm doing something the tool wasn't supposed to do (square peg, round hole)
(3) Blame Tascam
(4) Post here

Thanks for your esteemed colleagial help, folks.

Does thet mixer have inserts (some mixers have this labeled in/out) on all 8 channels? If so, they can be used as direct outs to feed signal to the TSR8. When you use them like that the EQ, pans and faders are disabled and the only control you'll have is the gain or trim pot at the top of the channel strip. This isn't a bad thing though since when you go to mix down to 2 track you'll get them back, and besides IMHO you're better off going flat and hot to tape anyway.

Yes, it does have inserts; thanks for the tip. I do leave the eq'ing and effects for mix-down anyway, so that seems a simple fix.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by C. Lewis:
Yes, it does have inserts; thanks for the tip. I do leave the eq'ing and effects for mix-down anyway, so that seems a simple fix. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Inserts can be a blessing!

My whole system is on the inserts. I'm running two DA-38's into a Mackie 1604Vlz pro, and I had to go the insert route.
Actually, it works fine-but I was completely limited to EQ after recording.
I wound up moving a little Carvin Rackmount mixer (that I had already) in for Drum mixing-so I could EQ my Kick and snare before tape.

Tim

here's an idea:
either go buy, or better yet build splitters( fancy name for a "y" cable) on each output(1-4)then patch then patch outputs 1-4 to tape inputs 1-4 and the other set of outputs from 1-4 to tape inputs 5-8
you won't be able to record two different instruments on tracks 1 & 5 at the same time, but you'll never have to repatch again. to rocord on tracks 5-8 all you have to do is assign to 1-4 and arm the corresponding track (5-8). hope this makes at least SOME sense to you.

Back