788...help! Problem with playback, please help!!

Cliff K

Hi folks.....I'm having a problem with my 788 playing back a song. We recorded a song yesterday, recorded a total of 9 tracks, everything was cool, then when I was mixing I assigned effects 1 to the send and effects 2 to the stereo buss, and now when I play back the song this is what happens: the meters show the audio on all of the tracks, the transport works with the counter, etc.; but, I only hear the first two tracks that we recorded (tracks 1 & 2), they are panned left and right, and they playback like this regardless of where any of the faders are, including the stereo buss fader, whether the tracks are assignned to the faders or the cue mixer, none of the controls like solo, pan, send, have any effect on what I hear coming from the 788....it's still just the two tracks panned left and right, yet the meters show the rest of the audio. It's like it's playing back a mastered mix, but we never did the premastering operation. The problem seems to be isolated to this one song because the 788 plays back other songs as normal. I've tried shutting the 788 down and turning it back on; I've tried undoing the steps of the recording, and while the meters reflect the different steps of the song as being undone and redone, nothing changes in playback; I've done a data backup for the song, and then a data restore to a different partition of the hard disc, and there is no difference: the 788 still plays back just the two tracks regardless of faders and settings, yet shows the other tracks on the meters. I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm at a loss. Does this sounds familiar? Anyone know what to do? I'm hoping it's a case of pilot error as I'm a newbie with this machine, but I've gone through every thing I can think of. I've had this 788 with the CDRW788 for a couple of weeks and have been using it everyday with no problems before this.
Any help you can offer is very much appreciated.
Thanks!
Cliff

The problem is that you live in Long Beach, I got out of there in the '70's and things have been fine ever since.

Seriously, since it shows on the meters you've got the tracks. How are you assigning these tracks?

Yea, LB will makes things act strangely, but I'm afraid I'm stuck here for a while. This happens whether the tracks are assigned to the faders or assigned to te cue mixer. I've tried everything: the fader are in "real" mode, I've tried unplugging everything, making copies, resettting everything. It's very strange: The 788 plays the song back as if it's a master track, in that everything is disabled to change the mix, yet it plays like this from the song screen/song mode, with the meters showing the tracks (I never did a premaster mix of the song). I've done a new song, and it's fine, and all of the other songs on the hard drive play back fine, as do the master tracks of other songs that are on the drive. It's not so bad for my song as I can transfer what does play back (tracks 1 & 2) to a tape machine and then rerecord them as a new song on the 788 and just redo the overdubbed tracks that won't play back (the overdubbed parts where not great and would be redone even if this hadn't happened), but it's frustrating and it makes no sense. I'm thinking that something must have happened when I was playing back the song.....the last thing I did before I noticed this was assign the effects to the send and the stereo buss, but I can't see that doing anything. I wonder if it's my power...I moved into this old house a few months ago, I've had problems with grounding with some other gear (the house isn't grounded), so I wonder if perhaps there was a power surge or something (I think if my outlets are not grounded my powerstrip's surge protection won't work--don't you love old houses with ungrounded three-prong AC outlets?!). Does this sound like something that might happen from bad power, a power surge, etc.? Any other ideas? Maybe I should call Tascam? I'm hoping that this doesn't happen again, but I'd like to understand what the problem is.
Anyhow, thanks a lot for your help!

If the tracks show on meters on playback then they're there......somewhere. Monitor select? Que? Might be time to go over things in the manual in detail.

Problem solved!:D
I somehow, and without realizing it, had assigned the stereo output to tracks 1 & 2; hence, the only thing coming out of the stereo output was those two tracks. I must have done this somehow when I was assigning effects 2 to the stereo buss (doh!). From the stereo output screen I reassigned the stereo buss to the stereo output, and now everything is back to normal. Thanks a lot for your help, Phil, I really appreciate it. I don't know what happened, man, it must be all those Long Beach diesel fumes finally got to my brain :eek: .
Thanks again for your help.
Cheers!

Back