788 Dynamics

S.C.U.D

Hi, recently got a 788, really like it. Not that good with compressors yet - Been reading alot and trying to learn about ratios etc. Used the dynamics on the 788 once put it over a mix made the vocals stand out quite well but made the music sound shit (Drums, bass, Clean Guitar, Crunchy lead part, one acoutsic guitar bounced to 7/8) Bass was too loud and just generally sounded unatural / too much compression ( Seemed to pump alot). Could anyone give me any tips on the Dynamics section of this machine what they have found good for an overall mix - what to use on vocal anything really.

Also have a Focusrite Plt. Trackmaster - Have tried patching in through Aux inputs - This unit only has one line in jack and either -10db or +4db line out so is worth bothering trying to use this as a compressor / EQ, the aux ins/outs are Stereo so i'm assuming i'm only going to get if say left is plugged in anything panned to the right won't be heard. Is there any other way i could use this unit.

Thanks

Hi Just to say, In the time that no-one has managed to reply to this post - i've pretty much got the hang of the Dynamics section - And would reccommend anyone that doesn't use this learns how to immediately - Ever wondered how they get the music on CD's recorded so loud and thats only scratching the surface.

If want a rough guide let me know

SCUD,

That's the best way to learn dynamics...DIY.

Sounds like you're using Stereo Dynamics on your overall mix?

Press & Hold Effect 2 > Press the Stereo button? All the tracks assigned to the main mixer will run thru the compressor. Press the Effect 2 button again to change your settings. Press the Yes/Enter button and you can save your settings.

You can also use Channel Dynamics. And have different settings on each track in the mixer. Press & Hold Effect 2 > Press the Select button for the channel stip you want to compress. Press the Effect 2 button again to change settings. Do this for each track you want to compress.

Stereo & Channel dynamics do record to the tracks, they're 'inserted' into the signal path.

You can use the Focusrite into Input A-D.
Those inputs, with the trim fully counterclockwise, work just like the Aux-ins.

Hi, Thanks for your post, I've got a couple questions if thats ok,

Where you mentioned about using effect 2 to and then assigning to stereo output using the stereo button - Is this just a shortcut to holding down effect 2 and assigning to any / all of the eight tracks - Or can you assign to the stereo (Overall Mix) and then assign say to track one and two say because you want to make the vocal stand out - I hope that makes sense.

Also still not to sure about what to do with the focusrite. Are you saying say go from input A into the F'rites line in and then line out into input b. Should I then assign to the sub mixer or something.

Your advice here would be really appreciated.

PS : The Dynamics section on the 788 seems really good is it worth even using the focusrite which is not a dedicted compressor.

I use outboard compression almost all the time except for bass for some reason. For that I use effects 2 dynamics compression.

One thing, be sure to get out of it when you're through recording.

S.C.U.D.,

You can use STEREO DYNAMICS (Press Effect 2>Stereo Button) to effect the overall stereo mix. Every track assigned to the main mixer will be effected.

You can use CHANNEL DYNAMICS (Press Effect 2>SELECT button) for each channel you want to effect. (with different settings for each channel)

You can only use one at a time. Either Stereo Dynamics or Channel Dynamics. Not both at the same time.

You can use Stereo or Channel dynamics during recording.

You can use Stereo or Channel dynamics during playback.

Whatever you feel is needed on the individual track or the overall stereo mix.

I would use the Focusrite Trackmaster during recording.

Run your mic to the input of the Focusrite, take the output from the Focusrite into input A on the 788. Get your settings the way you want on the vocals running thru the Focusrite and record the perfect track to the 788. Now you don't need any additional effects, if you've recorded the perfect track.

You can also run your instruments thru the Focusrite and record to the 788.

If you want to use an outboard compressor on the final mix, I'd spring for a STEREO compressor.

You can use the Focusrite to effect one track already recorded. If the track is an odd numbered track, use the left AUX-output into the Focusrite input, run the output of the Focusrite into input A. (if the track is even numbered use the Right AUX-output.)

Hope this Helps.

Back