688 transport problem

JimiAlan

Guess I should direct this to you, Muttley. You seem to know this thing inside as well as outside after reading your replies....

Just picked a Tascam 688 Midistudio. I was told that everything worked and before I call the guy back I want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. The unit powers on ok and I get a few lights and I can hear the motor start (under the transport). When I place a tape inside and push play, the heads do not come out to the tape. They remain in the RW/FW position. Is there some switch that I need to turn on to get these to move? Is there something that I'm missing? I have a 488MKII and when I press play on that I can here what sounds like a stepper motor pushing the heads towards the tape. I took the unit apart to see if it was just stuck or something and forced the heads out to the tape and did get sound out of it although the pinch roller never meets the capstan......and no, I did not get a manual with it....

HELP??!!

I thought the same thing. I did manage to get the cover off and get to the entire transport mechanism. No broken belts, nothing loose. I can't even hear the motor that moves it. Even checked for a disconnected wire or plug. It is very dirty in there. It doesn't look like it was well taken care of. Guess the repair shop is the next step. It's nothing that I'm doing wrong, is it?

:( The mechanism should activate when play is pressed.

How grimy is this on the inside? I say grime because that is the hardest thing on any Porta, A trip to the service center is in order for a careful cleaning. Make sure no connections came loose off of a circuite board while you have it opened up, use small flashlight to help see in there

No other switches to press to activate.

Would you be interested in a copy of my manual??
Its 66 sheets of copying at 8 copyies for a buck, envelope 79 cents, postage at first class flat is about 3 bucks.
I mail every thing flat.
I highly recomend the manual, the 688 is very deep in features. Lots of programming options to keep you well confused.

I guarrantee you will enjoy producing music on this thing!!!
You are doing nothing wrong..

da MUTT

Thanks Everyone-
I actually fixed it on my own!! It WAS really grimy in there (Muttley) and a good cleaning was in order. The head mechanics are gear driven. There is a forked shaft that holds a pin and when activated forces the heads up to meet the tape. I popped that back on and....viola! Anyway, it was pretty difficult to get on so I doubt it happened during shipping....someone was fiddling for sure...guess that's why it was so cheap!! I did get my old 488MkII masters to play in it but only through the monitor outs. I could really use a copy of that manual there Mr. Muttley....could we make further arrangements through email. I'm at jimialan@earthlink.net.....I found another post that explained how to get the output to 1L/R2 connectors.....I'm gonna try that now....

Thanks again all....this site rocks!!!!

Jimi

yo Muttley!
What are the chances that you might have a 488 MKII manual lying around that I could snatch a copy of. :D (with envelope and copying charges of course.
-Tom

Back