488 ?, 488 MKII ?, or 788 ? - Whats best ???

Tasc

Hi, I just got back into home recording and I am unsure as to what to buy of the 3. I love analog but I want to be able to burn my work directly on to CD. Can it be done with the 488,s and if so, what's best and how involved ? THANKS!!!

Yo Tasc of Task:

The 488 is an eight tracker of which I've owned two! It's a nice platform but it is ancient history.

You need to choose a digital box if you want high quality sound and options that do not come with anaolog. I enjoyed the 488 but when I recorded on the Yamaha 2816, there is NO comparison.

With the 488, you wait for the tape to rewind; you get weird pops and clicks; with a digital unit, you push a button and, ZAPPOLA, you're back to "start" ready to do the next track (s).

So look around and listen to sound and be bound to your sound.

Green Hornet

:D :eek: :p :p :p :cool:

Thanks. I see that the world of home recording gear has really done a 180 since I left it. I too worked on a 488 and I already know it and I am a little hesitant on "learning a whole new set of rules". My buddy recommended a Fostex digital unit - unsure of the model - but it seems foreign to me. Also, I wonder if the tracks will seem "cold". I'm like an old dog that is afraid to learn new tricks so if I seem lost it's because I am but hopefully I'll get it togther. Thanks again for the heads up and I will check out the Yamaha. Tasc

Yo Tasc:

It's a bitch changin lanes in a high speed traffic arena. But, it isn't that tough to catch on to the new digital units.

Shop around, talk around, visit around the vendors and pick a digital unit that makes you happy.

You know that good monitors and a good pre amp will make any unit hum. So, you need to look and buy what you think will make your ears happy.

When you think of all the time it takes for a 488 to rewind so you can dub another track, a digital unit makes the 488 a nice old thing. I still have stuff I did on the 488; I remastered some stuff to 16 bit on my 2816 and it blows the mind as far as quality sound difference.

Don't mean to push you to buy this or that; however, buy a digital unit that makes you happy.

Green Hornet

:D :D :D :p :p :p :cool: :cool:

COOL

Thanks once again. I am just in the process of doing the" major undertaking". - For me at least. I know your advise IS the way to go. Thanks Tasc

The Fostex FD4 or FD8 may be a good transition. They operate very similar to a cassette multi-tracker and can be found on ebay for less than you paid for a 488!!!

Oh Yea Jr#97

This may be the way. I don't want to settle just b/c I have to learn new ways but I don't want somthing that seems foreign. In your area what stores ( Wagstaff, etc.. ) do you prefere for studio equipment to go to. I am in Ut also. THANKS!!!!! Tasc

Tascam 788

It blows away the Fostex and it's very easy to use.... You hook up the proper burner, done...:cool: It is a bit more expensive because it is better...

It is a bit more expensive because it is better...:cool:

Go with the 788 if an 8 track is all you need. Nothing better. v 2.0 is due out soon allowing you to use large hard drives, among many other features.

Re: Oh Yea Jr#97

Tasc said:
This may be the way. I don't want to settle just b/c I have to learn new ways but I don't want somthing that seems foreign. In your area what stores ( Wagstaff, etc.. ) do you prefere for studio equipment to go to. I am in Ut also. THANKS!!!!! Tasc

Well, the FD8 is discontinued, so it's a matter of watching the classifieds and ebay, etc. I like the 788 like everyone else mentioned, but I got my FD8 for $300 and it does what I need. Even a used 788 will be twice that. But I also mix/edit/master on a DAW, so I don't care about the mixer section features, CD burning, blah blah blah... anywhoo....

As far as recording gear and local music stores go, it all depends on what I'm looking for. Wagstaff's is good and I've definitely dontated to their cause. I always keep an eye on the Guitar Center/Musician's Friend clearence table. Progressive isn't too bad if you can haggle. Guitar City up in Centerville was good, but they just change owners and I haven't been in there since the change. For guitar stuff, I'm primarily a specialized kinda guy. Strings from Local Music on 800 S. 850 E. Various acoustic stuff from Acoustic Music on 400 S. Electric and amp service from Discount Music in Bountiful... Craig is the best guitar/amp tech around. What kinda stuff are you into? Maybe we can hook up sometime.....

Thanks to everyone that has posted so far. it is really helping me out as far as a direction to go in. I know I need to go digital but I am concerned about still getting a "warm" guitar sound. Thanks for all the help! Tasc

Nah,... you don't need to go digital. Here's my idea:

What you need is a Tascam 38, an M30 mixer, and [2] DX-4D units, plain & simple.

Do all your tracking in analog, [1/2" 8-track, a real production format], mixdown to your computer, and burn cds of your mixes. Sounds easy? It is. Ask me more, if you have q's.

A Few Questions

Thanks for a different take on this !!!!!! I do have a few questions please. Do I need to get a used 38 or does Tascam still produce them? Same with the DX 4D units. Who makes the M 30 mixer ? What type of software do I need for my computer and is a MAC better than a PC ? And finally, what type of burner do you recommend ? If there is any other equipment or advice you have on equipment - please indulge me. I am very interested in this set up but as you can tell by my questions, not too knowledgeable. THANKS REEL !!!!!!!!

I used a Tascam TSR 8 for a while, similar to the 38. Great unit. Loved it. I don't think the 38 has onboard noise reduction (aren't the DX units dbx noise reduction units?). I'm not familiar with the M30. I used a Tascam m2516 mixer, which is a pretty hefty unit, but well worth the money and back pain from lugging it around. Tascam 38's run in the $300-400 range used. They're out of production, but are still servicable and common enough that you can still find parts.

I tracked to mine and mixed/edited on the DAW. Works great that way. The PC vs. Mac debate is almost a moot point now days. Throw out a ball park budget and I'm sure we can narrow it down for ya!

Good answer JR, you pretty much covered everything I would say.

Tasc, all this vintage gear is out of production, and IMO, your best source is Ebay.

The TSR-8 is also a Tascam 1/2" 8-track, that's a little newer and more modern than the 38, and has LEDs and built-in dbx.

The 38 is the more vintage 1/2" 8-track, with VU meters, and no dbx. The DX-4D's [2] are the add-on dbx units.

Also, it should go without mentioning, but the 38 will work perfectly well without the DX-4Ds, but with dbx, in this case as an add-on, it really minimizes tape hiss, and boosts S/N ratio dramatically.

Go surf Ebay/Tascam. With all the pics and descriptions on the listings, it turns out to be a pretty good resource for info.

Thx, & good luck.

THANK YOU REEL!!! I have already started my investigative work. I appreciate all the info. It is proving to be a BIG help!! THANKS!!!! Tasc

JR #97 - Good to hear from you again! My ball park figure as of right now is about 1,500. Keep in mind that I also need monitors. Let me know what are the "recommended ones out there today". My last pair I owned were Tannoy's. Thank you for yet again - some great advise! Hear from ya soon - Thanks, Tasc

Hey Reel !

Hey Reel ! What could you do with a 424 MK III?
Is that a machine worthy of producing a decent sound?
Appreciate your advice

Hey TASC,
$1,500 total for recording set-up, DAW and monitors? What kind of computer do you have now? What's wrong with the Tannoys? How much do you want for 'em? Anywho...

A Tascam 38 will run you about $400 shipped if you get one from Ebay. Then figure about $300-$500 for a mixer to front the Tascam. If you're going the DAW route, you don't need a fancy mixer.. just something to get your tones on tape and back out for monitoring purposes. A good software package will run between $200-$500. A good soundcard with 8 i/o will run about $300 and up. It also depends on what you want to do with the DAW. Multi track-Mix/edit/master/burn? Or mixdown to DAW/edit/master/burn?

I don't think you ever said what format you're using now... you might be able to work it in to your next set-up.

Statecap, the 424MKIII is very capable of producing decent sound. I've had great results with my 424MKII. The rest of your recording chain matters, too though.

Back