424 mkIII. help a beginner

greyJ

ok. just got a 424. i dont know anything! is it possible to do this: plug an overhead drum mic into track 1 . plug another overhead drum mic into track 2. plug a snare mic into track 3 . plug a kick drum mic into track 4. plug a bass cab mic (or a direct input) into track 5. and then have all the drum and bass signals recorded onto only 1 track.

please help.

Though your Portastudio may have more then 4 mixing channels, it only has 4 recording tracks or channels on the tape from which it can record so strictly speaking, no, it can not do what you described.

You might try making a live off the floor two track recording from the mix you described and then have two tracks of tape still left over to add vocals or solo instruments. This method requires having a a very good balance of sound going in to tape as you won't be able to really correct it on playback except for some eq.

It sounds like you might be better off and happier with an 8 track recording system.

Cheers! :)

what about running all my drum mics into a seperate mixer, then running that one signal into the 424 . is that safe. ? two of the mics are condensers.

greyJ said:
ok. just got a 424. i dont know anything!

please help.

My apologies to Ghost, but he didn't understand your mis-use of the terminologies here, and did not read the last line of your original post.

You meant channels, not tracks.

Big difference.

You can do what you described. Use all the channels you have, and record onto one track. But you can't record the first overhead on track one, the second overhead to track two, the snare to track three, the kick to track four, the bass guitar to track (5 ?) which is what you were asking.

You just didn't understand the difference between tracks and channels.

thanks. yes. i meant channels. sorry. thanks for helping. and i am unaware of any relation to greykitkat

Back